We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long does it take to go through Customs

London, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
how long does it take to go through Customs
Save

Doing a business trip soon and will need to go through customs in Chicago ... Going on Monday Feb. 17th ( I think that's a long weekend there ) ... Will be arriving in Chicago at 7:20 am. Does anyone know if the customs line be crazy busy or so so

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,889 posts
182 reviews
136 helpful votes
1. Re: how long does it take to go through Customs
Save

I'm not sure why you chose to post again or what the difference is with this post, vs. the earlier one?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k701604…

No one can tell if immigrations/customs lines will be "crazy busy". If there are a lot of other international flights landing around the same time as you, the answer is "maybe". If you land earlier or later, than scheduled, this changes the time and expectation. You stated 4.5 hours in the other post and I think at ORD this will be fine.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
2. Re: how long does it take to go through Customs
Save

The reason I asked this question was I just found out yesterday that some friends from Western Canada are going to be switching flights in Chicago as well around the same time period .. I Have never been to this airport and i was just hoping I could find time to meet with them in another one of the terminals ... sorry for making it sound like a repeat question ..I will just have to go with the flow when the day comes ..

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,889 posts
182 reviews
136 helpful votes
3. Re: how long does it take to go through Customs
Save

If your friends are departing Western Canada from a US pre-clearance airport, they will not have to go through immigrations/customs and take a tram like you will need to do. I understand from your other post that you will be proceeding to Terminal 1 - United. What about your friends? If they are also flying United, you can try to arrange a meeting place with them in Terminal 1. If not, it could be a lot of back-and-forth. If you have a cell phone, you could text them once you are on the tram. Here's the terminal map for O'Hare:

flychicago.com/OHare/…default.aspx

Edited: 6 years ago
London, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
4. Re: how long does it take to go through Customs
Save

Awesome thanks ...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
70,942 posts
2,394 reviews
2,110 helpful votes
5. Re: how long does it take to go through Customs
Save

We find ORD to be slower than some other US airports, but it will depend on many of the factors listed above. We are US citizens on US Passports, and have hit some very busy times at ORD. It can just be the timing of your particular flight.

However, and with no checked luggage, plus having all paperwork filled in, it should progress quickly - likely less time than the train between terminals (listed in other thread). US Customs should be a breeze with just carry-on, so long as you are not carrying something that would create a unique problem.

6. Re: how long does it take to go through Customs

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:40 am, December 10, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
24,604 posts
431 reviews
216 helpful votes
7. Re: how long does it take to go through Customs
Save

In all likelihood, you'll clear U.S. customs and immigration on departure from Canada.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,889 posts
182 reviews
136 helpful votes
8. Re: how long does it take to go through Customs
Save

<In all likelihood, you'll clear U.S. customs and immigration on departure from Canada.>

Not true. See the OP's other post, which I copied in #1 - London, ONT has no pre-clearance.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
9. Re: how long does it take to go through Customs
Save

And from other posts , I fill out the customs papers on the plane while I am going to Chicago , Hopefully that is how it all goes .. never flown to the states from London before .. always Toronto ... Oh well .. I will figure it out

Edited: 6 years ago
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,889 posts
182 reviews
136 helpful votes
10. Re: how long does it take to go through Customs
Save

Yes. I'm not fully familiar with AC procedures from London airport, but most airlines either pass out a form while boarding the plane or in the plane. Plus there will be extra forms, if needed, in the immigrations hall at O'Hare. Many options, but hopefully they will be passed out in advance. .

Get answers to your questions