We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to call from abroad

Eindhoven
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to call from abroad

Hi,

We're planning on doing a road trip through Europe and the States and got myself an unlocked phone and am planning to buy local prepaid sim cards abroad and use these to call back home.

Since the trip is going to be for a while we're thinking of downloading a VoIP or calling card tool, such as EZ-call (since I'm guessing it's difficult to get prepaid data sim-cards everywhere, so it's hard to use Skype).

We were wondering if people have experience with the quality and if it's easy and reliable, or maybe have an alternative solution for cheap phone calls in Europe and the States?

Thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,269 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to call from abroad

I can't comment on the EZ-call thing, but am familiar with Skype...

WiFi hotspots are fairly common, nowadays. If you do not have a decent noise-cancelling bluetooth headset I would get one. Seek out the hotspots and then use Skype to make your calls. If you are going to be calling a few numbers regularly - see if you can get them set up with Skype before you leave, then it's completely free to stay in touch.

Note that some mobile carriers will block Skype traffic over their 3G and 4G networks - they can't block it on WiFi, however.

Local SIM cards are great for local calls and texting internationally - I tend not to use them for international calls, though, because of the cost. I will often text someone to let them know to hop on Skype. :-)

Ideally, find hotels that offer free WiFi, either in the rooms, or in public areas - that will be a better environment to take calls than a busy cafe or bar....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to call from abroad

100% with TBNY.

Skype is hands down cheapest.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,359 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to call from abroad

Skype is the cheapest, but I usually take an unlocked phone and pick up a local SIM card. Drastically cheaper than carrying around my US cell phone.

But I can't resist... Cheapest way to call from a broad? Make her pay. ;-)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,426 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to call from abroad

Hard to beat Skype in terms of price and convenience.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to call from abroad

Skype for me too. And with the iPhone Skype app, I can even call from my iPhone. Only limit would be the wifi connection speed.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,269 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to call from abroad

Yeah, I usually use Skype for Android and it works very well!

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to call from abroad

For free texting when using a data plan I like HeyWire. You can text to a regular cell number in the US (and many other countries) for free, and there's no charge for the recipient to receive international texts. The recipient can text you back for free too. You can even send photos.

8. Re: Cheapest way to call from abroad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 26, 2014