We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa business class

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Lufthansa business class

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I'll ask anyways. My husband and I are flying from JFK to Frankfurt to Rome all on Lufthansa and was wondering how the business class was. We have only flown Asiana business class and they are the greatest. Does the seats recline into a flat bed, are the screens in front of you? I have heard so many things about Lufthansa but not sure how it's going to be.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,408 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa business class

Pretty good blog on flying with LH:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/lufthansaflyer/

also here:

flyertalk.com/forum/…

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa business class

LH business class seat is angled, but reasonably comfortable. The service is very good. Intra-Europe flights are good but don't expect much better comfort than in economy.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,408 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa business class

When I flew biz class from FRA to ATH at the end of Jan. the seat was a standard econ seat, but in the row of 3, the middle was "blocked". The service (food, drink) was better. That's the only different for EU to EU.

Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa business class

I would consider LH business to be lower than average in the trans-Atlantic market among the big boys. Even North American carriers like UA (both legacy UA and CO), DL and AC all have fully-flat beds which are a big deal to some people. European carriers haven't really caught on to fully-flat seats in business yet but if you were satisfied with the angled seats on OZ the ones on LH are no worse. If anything they're better than what you'd find on KL or SK. I don't really mind angled seats but I find service on LH to be quite uninspiring and average compared to say, BA.

If you can, try to get on SQ25 (Singapore Airlines JFK-FRA) for the trans-Atlantic sector. It blows the European and North American competition out of the water.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa business class

I'd agree with jinphil's assessment.

We flew on the same route - JFK to FRA - with LH (because they were offering a very cheap Business class ticket) and found it to be just so-so.

The lounge at JFK was marginally better than sitting out in the public areas - not really anything to get excited about, the angled seats are no good for me - I'm short so keep sliding down them - some people don't mind them.

The service was mediocre. Perhaps we were unlucky with our particular crew, but it seemed that unless you were a German national you got the minimum required service delivered with efficiency but no pleasantries. Doesn't bother me but it's important to some.

As others have pointed out in flights withing the EU it's standard economy seating with an empty seat next to you.

Out flight into FRA from LHR was delayed and LH did manage to get us to our connecting flight to HKK by having buses standing by to take us across the tarmac straight to the flight - not sure how thrilled the pax on the connecting flight were to have to wait half an hour for us.

We won't be using them again for Business Class - at those prices we expected more.

Edited: 9:40 pm, March 31, 2012
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa business class

On a recent LH flight, I spoke with one of the FA's who indicated that the LH 747 fleet was being upgraded and encouraged me to take a look at their upper deck when I had a chance.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,702 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lufthansa business class

LH has currently the worse business class in Europe (long haul). This is just a fact. Now, yes, they are introducing fully flat beds on their new B747-8 that will be servicing Washington soon. And they are expected to retrofit most of their fleet. But this will take ages...

FRA in addition is one of the worse place to connect. Do expect to walk A LOT (30 minutes is not an exception).

That being said, the poster (that's me :-)) is a jerk, travelling extensively who became very demanding! I am sure you will enjoy your trip, the food (basic but not bad on LH) and wine, and Rome.

Safe flight!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lufthansa business class

"That being said, the poster (that's me :-)) is a jerk, travelling extensively who became very demanding! "

LOL...You don't want to get both of us in the same slow line impeded by morons asking if they can be upgraded, or what time the flight will leave, or if it will be bumpy on their 9000 mile trip.

BTW... I've been through FRA so many times now that it has become a fairly easy airport.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,702 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lufthansa business class

FRA is not complicated. It is just strenuous. Passengers are walking far too much. It is crowded (I particularly hate concourse A), to many buses, lost luggages... Unless of course you have access to the First Class terminal :-)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lufthansa business class

I remember seeing a couple walk back and forth many times while I was waiting to board. Each time looking a bit more frantic. I approached to see if I could be of assistance. They were completely stressed looking for the Z gates.

Get answers to your questions