We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Business Class Sucks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
United Business Class Sucks

I recently flew United Business from New York to Bangkok. At the lounge in La Guardia, the only food available was cereal and toast. No alcoholic beverages. On the flight from O'Hare to Tokyo, I wanted the so-Called Japanese meal only to be informed that this had to be preordered 24 hours in advance. I would've done that if I had known there was such a requirement. The cabin attendant does not just come down the aisle and ask what you want. When I asked why they skipped around, they explained that they take orders based on what you paid for your ticket; so, if the person across the aisle paid $10 more than you, he gets priority. Twice, I not only got something I didn't want, I found it inedible as did the other two people in my row. Their other lounges are also shabby---overcrowded and very little, if anything, to eat. The worst was San Francisco where they charge for most drinks and all food: a mere 9 bucks for a Caesar salad, for example. If you are flying business, United's skies are distinctly unfriendly.

Bangkok, Thailand
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: United Business Class Sucks

I fully support this criticism. United is the most complicated airline in the world with passengers being uninformed of rules and formalities of meals, seat reservations, 1st class vs. business lounges, etc. etc. etc. If you sit in a class, one should be treated the same as anyone else in that class. That's how other airlines around the world work! And just for the record... the SFO Red Carpet lounge does suck! They ganked the drink coupons, so now they finally provide free internet... yipee!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: United Business Class Sucks

"If you sit in a class, one should be treated the same as anyone else in that class. That's how other airlines around the world work!"

No. That is not how other airlines work. SQ "jumps around the cabin" for the food orders too (as do almost all others).Many others do as well (CO doesn't and it is anomalous) Airlines want to do everything they can to ensure their frequent flyers and *Gold people get the meal they would like. I too prefer this method. It gets me the meal I want.

If you are used to international RCC's, anything in North America will seem bad. Internet is not free in many locations around the world (LH in FRA and any Air Canada lounge for non-AC elites being examples).

BTW... what's a "ganked"?

Edited: 8:54 am, April 25, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: United Business Class Sucks

I like the flat business class seat on United because it is longer than most and does not require placing my legs under a table for the next row forward. All business class service has some disadvantages. The quality of the food on United may be lower than the quality offered by some airlines. My highest priority is sleeping. Even excellent food has less taste at 30,000 feet. I like to take simple organic food with me to eat on the arrival time zone schedule.

14. Re: United Business Class Sucks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, October 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions