We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

Moscow Mills...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

Hi everybody!

This message is to warn you not to use www.EconomyCarRentals.com and Budget rent-a-car.

Here is my story.

I booked a car in Palermo airport via www.EconomyCarRentals.com - they took from my credit card 2 euro for their services + 30 euro as prepayment, I've got the voucher on my e-mail saying that their local partner in Palermo is Budget and ammount to pay is 182 euro - this ammount includes all possible local taxes and insurances.

At place, the local desk manager of Budget said she is not informed of any prepaid ammounts but promised to check it with EconomyCarRentals (which never happened). Their at place I decided to take the GPS navigation in addition to my booking, stated in voucher. The price for GPS annouunced to me was 8 euro per day = 64 euro for 8 days I booked the car.

To my surprise the final ammount Budget billed me was not 182+64=246 euro, but 297 euro - which is ~51 euro or ~20% extra vs. the announced price.

I contacted www.EconomyCarRentals.com and Budget Italy, then Budget.com worldwide. First you don't get any reply at all. After many mails and calls both EconomyCarRentals and Budget wrote, that this 20% extra charge (50euro !!!) comes because of GPS purchased on place (for 64 euro!!!). REDICULOUS! But they never gave any other explanation or admitted that there was some mistake.

So actually I suppose it is deceptive agreement between website and Budget to promote this rent-a-car with prices which are much lower than other competitors offer, but than they use rediculous explanations and tricks just to steal your money!

BE WARNED OF THIS TRICK, AVOID FRAUD!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,053 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

I never use a 3rd party service to book a car for many of the reasons you've encountered; no one takes responsibility and they point fingers at each other when something goes wrong. This is true of most 3rd party sites, not just the one you used. I'm sure it is a hard lesson to learn, but maybe you'll shop directly with the vendor website next time.

Moscow Mills...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

unfortunately it is not the question of the 3rd party

both EconoyCarRentals and Budget first did not react at all on all my questions and requests, but later after sending several warnings they both gave to me these rediculous explanations and kept silence furthermore. So it really looks like they were in deceptive agreement from the very beginning. It means Budget is not reliable as much as the 3rd party

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

Budget doesn't control third parties any more than they could control me if I sold rental car booking services.

Was the trip to Palermo business travel? This is the business travel forum.

And finally, that isn't fraud. You may find more sympathy if you dropped the hyperbole.

Edited: 7:09 pm, February 08, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,753 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

Go direct with car rentals ie..www.budget.com & don't use other websites.

Its impossible to complain or get satisfaction when your dealing with another party too.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

Certainly not fraud; perhaps you forgot to fill up the tank on return and the EUR 51 was for the fuel consumed! Most plausible in my view.

Europe
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

thank you for this warning! Useful in every way!

Schweiz
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

I book my cars with AVIS for many years now, had never a problem (about 20 bookings). It is eventually a little bit more expensive, but I didn't compare, but the price you get indicated is the price you pay. I even hade twice a price reduction after returning the car due to filled with to much fuel!

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,438 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

We also use AVIS at home and abroad. It is not always the cheapest but it is reliable and we book directly on their website - the only way to to it IMO.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

Ditto.

10. Re: WARNING! FRAUD while making car reservation via internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, May 05, 2012
Get answers to your questions