We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samsonite Prodigy 55 cm - Carry-On issues?

2 posts
Samsonite Prodigy 55 cm - Carry-On issues?

Can this suitcase be carried onto Virgin Australia or Jetstar flights? Anyone bring it onto these flights without issues?

https:/…

Dimension: 55 x 40 x 20 cm

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
102,312 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Samsonite Prodigy 55 cm - Carry-On issues?

Virgin's web site says carry-on luggage can have maximum dimensions of 56cm long, 36cm wide, 23cm deep". Your case is 3 cm too deep, so it would not fit into the carry-on checking cage. Expect to be forced to check the bag.

Jetstar's maximum dimensions are 56cm (H) x 36cm (W) x 23cm (D), so again I would expect there to be problems.

Get a bag that meet's the airlines' requirements.

2 posts
2. Re: Samsonite Prodigy 55 cm - Carry-On issues?

Yeah I saw those on their respective websites but I was hoping it was one of those things that they may let pass - 3cm extra is hard to visualise I would have thought!

Just posting to see if anyone has got this suitcase and managed to get onto their flights without issue.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
102,312 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Samsonite Prodigy 55 cm - Carry-On issues?

An inch is 2.5 cm, so the case is more than an inch oversize. That would make it too big to fit he measuring cage. Even if someone else has managed to get away with an over-sized case, that does not mean that you will.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
82,388 posts
478 reviews
377 helpful votes
4. Re: Samsonite Prodigy 55 cm - Carry-On issues?

I wish airlines were both more consistent and stricter about enforcing heir own rules. Then there might not be so many passengers willing to take a chance, and there might not be so many issues with storing bags on board aircraft.

As it is, it's impossible to say with absolute certainty that a bag which is larger than the stated permitted dimensions will be allowed to pass or not. The only thing that is certain is that what happened with others will have no bearing on what happens to you.

My advice is always the same. Don't bring a bag which is larger than the airline permits.

Mac
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
15,426 posts
62 reviews
95 helpful votes
5. Re: Samsonite Prodigy 55 cm - Carry-On issues?

In my recent travel case shopping experience, Samsonite cases are always on the heavier side, they tend to be several pounds more than most other choices, and about 20% higher in prices. Pretty soon once I see Samsonite brand, I passed them.

Go with the ultra light weight cases.

Reply to: Samsonite Prodigy 55 cm - Carry-On issues?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted