We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

A A
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

Hello everyone :)

Do you have any experiences with booking a private driver in Croatia?

Thank you in advance!

11 replies to this topic
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
232 reviews
122 helpful votes
1. Re: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

As a rule the hotel is the better option to pursue a private driver. The drivers and the hotel do have an agreement in place. Both the hotel and the driver have incentive for you to be pleased with the service at the end of the day. Bad service from the driver will reflect badly on the hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
228 reviews
114 helpful votes
2. Re: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

You’ll probably get more and better answers if you post on the destination forum.

Using hotels to arrange car services/taxis usually means a much higher cost as the hotel will often take a percentage of the total fare.

Mac
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,269 posts
62 reviews
95 helpful votes
3. Re: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

Seems logical to ask these types of local questions on Croatia forum, not on business travel forum.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
653 reviews
374 helpful votes
4. Re: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

Well if the OP is looking for a driver for a tour, then, yes, Croatia forum is better. But if he is planning a transfer as part of a business trip, then we can help. Of course it would me a more generic answer unless any of us has a real local experience.

When I don't know a place, I first ask my client to organise a driver. Often, outside of Europe, I will be provided one of the company's driver. When this is not an option, then either Uber (available in Zagreb) or, as mentioned above, the hotel. The latter will be indeed more expensive, but also more secure and efficient.

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
615 posts
118 reviews
98 helpful votes
5. Re: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

I’ve had good luck with these guys: https:/…

Mexico City, Mexico
5 posts
6. Re: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

Hello! If you still need an answer - I'd better advice you to rent a car for some days if you have a driver's license. I used to have a private drivers two times and I can tell you that there were two different drivers - one of them was a good driver, but he didn't know English and there was a language barrier. Another driver had a good skills in English, but I didn't like his driving style

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
653 reviews
374 helpful votes
7. Re: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

Talking about Uber... I was in Dubrovnik for business in the Fall. Uber is available there, although it is Uber Select. What I got was actually a taxi, but with the huge communication advantage: I could write in English while they were receiving the request in Croatian. This was very useful as many drivers were not speaking a good English.

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
615 posts
118 reviews
98 helpful votes
8. Re: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

Again, we used these guys a few weeks ago and they’re pretty good. They fancy themselves as anything/anywhere/anytime and make a point of letting you know they can handle anything from a limo/car to a plane, yacht of vip tickets. We only needed drivers but I have no reason to doubt their capabilities:

https:/…

Korcula Island...
Level Contributor
500 posts
9. Re: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

Not sure what type of answer to give you. Taxi drivers are like everywhere else you pay, and they drive. Every taxi driver likes tips that are in common all over the world. Uber you don't have everywhere in Croatia, only in bigger cities. The local taxi driver uses taxi meters or by the deal if you mail him and make price agreement. PS they don't change the prices. The deal is the deal.

Mac
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,269 posts
62 reviews
95 helpful votes
10. Re: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)

“Every taxi driver likes tips that are in common all over the world.“

Just a note on this, in most or all parts of Asia, taxis don’t expect tips, in some cultures, such as Japan, Korea or China, it is an insult to give tips. You just don’t give tips anywhere in these countries, taxis or anywhere.

Tipping is largely an American habit, not a good one, but it is spreading like a virus. Nobody ever tip me for my work or services, it’d be an insult to me.

I had few cases drivers simply outright refused my tips. In one case, after that driver refused the tip, I left the tip on the back seats, once discovered, driver chased me into the airport departure hall and gave me back the tip, it was a minor physical struggle. I normally don’t tip drivers there, but he was exceptionally nice and professional.

Reply to: Private transportation Croatia (taxi/shuttle)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted