We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it bad ethics to not use the booked return flight?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is it bad ethics to not use the booked return flight?

Hello!

I'm just wondering if it's bad ethics to not use the return flight that the company book for you. For example, your company book you a return flight for business, you use the outbound flight but decided to extend your stay and not use the return leg of the ticket. You book your own flight home instead (with your own money)

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,588 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it bad ethics to not use the booked return flight?

Why is that bad ethic?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,101 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it bad ethics to not use the booked return flight?

I don't see any problem at all in doing that, ethical or otherwise.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,080 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it bad ethics to not use the booked return flight?

The correct answer, in my opinion, is what does your company policy say about this (travel changes)? This is not about personal travel, which I would agree from a traveler point of view “who cares”. But, if the company policy tells you that changes must meet certain criteria OR must be approved OR handled through company travel agent - then that’s the answer you must comply with. For example, my company would not allow this because they control all bookings through our corporate travel agent, and they audit them. A no-show would be seen and questioned. But, if I had gone through the correct process upfront to add a personal component, it would have been pre-approved and a calculation would have been made about pricing and if I owed the company any money.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,996 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it bad ethics to not use the booked return flight?

Have you checked your company’s travel policy regarding extending business trips to accommodate a personal trip/stay?

My company allows it as long as I pay any difference between the extended trip and a straight “there and back” business trip. I’ve used this a couple of times, including tagging a two week vacation in Thailand onto the end of a business trip to India (it cost me only $500 in additional flight costs vs around $1500 round trip from my home airport to BKK had I gone separately).

And (if you haven’t checked) there’s the possibility that you could get your company to make changes to your ticket (at your expense) which works out cheaper than buying a new ticket yourself.

One thing you need to be aware of, even if the chances of being caught are slim for a one off, is that dumping the return legs of a round trip air ticket (throwaway ticketing) is against the T+Ca of the airlines. Do it once shouldn’t be a problem. Do it 4-5 times and they will come after you, except if these are business trips they’ll do that by going after your employer and issuing agency debit memos against your corporate travel agent. That could get you into trouble if you make a habit of it.

Edited: 12:49 am, June 18, 2018
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,996 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it bad ethics to not use the booked return flight?

One more thing Indo. Assuming your business flights aren’t yet booked, quite often if you extend your stay (or travel out earlier) for a personal trip/stay it can result in a cheaper airfare in the first place. I’ve done that too for European trips, and stayed several days with my family in London.

I know that some companies are totally dumb with their travel policies, but I’d have thunk they’d agree to that.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it bad ethics to not use the booked return flight?

Im trying to ask them to book me a one way ticket

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,588 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it bad ethics to not use the booked return flight?

Maybe you should ask them to book round trip ticket but with return date/city incorporating your personal vacation, with no extra cost or minor cost difference.

It is bad ethics to throw money away or be wasteful, bad ethic to not know how to use available resources, or cannot read English advises given above.

Reply to: Is it bad ethics to not use the booked return flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted