We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

post trip blues

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
post trip blues

Hi solo travellers! Some of you may have read my posts. This is not really a question as such, but more seeking some general discussion. I have just returned form 9 weeks solo in europe. After 24 hours home in mid winter I ended up in bed with the flu..agghhh, and was exhausted so slept in as it was warmer in bed. Now im well again but find im very down. I had such a wonderful time away...3 weeks ago I was swimmming in the Mediterranean on mykonos and now Im freezing cold and back to the realities of life. Im self employed and havnt done one thing to start earning some money again.

And im staying up till all hours and sleeping until late morning...have not adjusted back to my time. I hate winter...I usually travel north to escape the winter but cant afford it this year after europe trip.

I just want to go away again.....perhaps one reason I travel is for an escape? Does anyone else suffer from the post travel blues?

PS love the solo forum♡

Edited: 1:30 am, July 18, 2014
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,354 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: post trip blues

yeah all the time. I am not long back from a trip to the Czech Republic and have already booked my next trip.

It is one of these things we have to live with.Best idea is to start looking at another trip. plan it in your head at first then do some searches of the type of things you want to do. Go on the various travel forums and pass on what you have learned or thank the folk that have helped you.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,516 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: post trip blues

As an introvert, I definitely use my Solo Travel experiences to "recharge" - and after I've come back from an adventure/trip, I do miss it. But, I do post my pics on Facebook and it's great to share those memories. Then, I'm off to figure out what else belongs on the bucket list.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: post trip blues

magpiegirl9,

im not as "blue" as you when i get back from my trip. I will say that my "mind" is still overthere even though my body is back. Also, all i need to do is to close my eyes and im back where i was on my trips. No problem with that putting a big smile on my face either.

i work for my travels so that keeps me happying knowing i will be going someplace soon.

good luck and get some rest.

one thing i do to try and help with the Jet Lag (hits me harder on the way back home) is to try and get back into my regular sleep schedule ASAP. my first day back i will be wanting to sleep real bad so i will stay up and active as long as i can until my regular sleep time and then hit the sack. The first few days are the hardest but i can usually shake it off within a week or at thats when i feel "normal" again.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,168 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: post trip blues

HI,

I always need at least 1 week to readjust to the "real" world! Even if I am just taking a local trip and not going to Europe I have re entry issues!!

You are not alone!

Try thinking that your work will help pay for your next trip and start imagining where you will go.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,079 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: post trip blues

Well the combination of end of trip, winter and the depression that always comes after the flu it's not surprising you have the blues.

In fact I find returning has bucked me up and put the mundane into proportion again. I do write up my journal, do my photos and such.

One trick I found when the daily grind seemed too much was to pin my favourite travel photo of where working has got me.........or a collage or where I want to go. Put it right above my desk so when I'm on the phone or bored I can gaze at it. Something to inspire me to get my nose to the grind stone and saving towards the next adventure..

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,354 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: post trip blues

Sue's post reminds me that I put up travel photos in my office,need to get some new ones up, I also use My Photos on my computer at work as my screen saver so always have a few of my holiday photos popping up on my screen to give me a daily cheer.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: post trip blues

Hey thanks all for your warm thoughts...I think im also suffering a case of boredom of living where I am. When we landed I said to the people next to me...ho hum we are home to boring adelaide. Im looking at things differently now...my house, where I live and what is really here for me. Maybe thats why people travel..to have the excitement and do things they cant do at home. But it seems I want that escape and excitement. I had such a great time in europe...I found my self looking in realestate windows in tuscany. Maybe its time to move on...somewhere.

I have had such good feedback about my blog I did during my trip...emails and phone calls, even the locals have read it and all say I write well and how much they enjoyed my stories and style, and also how amazing I am to do all that travel on my own. So that has cheered me up and maybe I will do a little travel writing. My photos are all on my blog so I have already done something with them, but yes I will print off some off.

I also met a lovely woman from america on my trip who has invited me to stay with here on her ranch with horses. Now Ive never been to the USA.....hmm

Essex
Level Contributor
28,544 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: post trip blues

Well, when that happens to me I do "mini-trips" and go to explore something in my local area that I have not been to before, might be a small museum or gallery, might be for a walk in a different park or wood, might be a trip to a town or pub "up the road" that I just have not been to before.

Don't get depressed about Adelaide, when I was on my Australia travels it was a place that I wanted to go to. Nearly everyones "boring home town" can be a desireable and exotic location for others to visit, yes, true!! Golly, even the place I live is now famous and desired as the result of a daft TV programme, and yet it has often cropped up in the past as one of the MOST boring towns ever in the UK!!!!!

Perhaps you can start to visit and assess some of those local attractions (TA lists 89 for Adelaide) maybe you can become an expert on your local area and start to help travellers visiting Adelaide via the TA forums?

Most of the others who have posted on this thread do that, and I bet that helps them with the "just-can't-get-away-now-blues", it certainly helps me....

Essex
Level Contributor
28,544 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: post trip blues

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g255093-Activi…

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,079 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: post trip blues

As Essex says, helping others on the forums often gives you a new view of where you live. I know that I have come to appreciate it more through travelling away even though those places were amazing. I realise what I have at home is special too.

Maybe if you really do have wanderlust you should plan ahead, lots of different trips for the future.