We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Essex
Level Contributor
31,768 posts
69 reviews
Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Finding a Travel Buddy on the Internet is fraught with problems and dangers.

You could end up with a dominant one who wants to go on route-marches everywhere, while you want to stop and smell the flowers.

You could end up with a clingy whinger, who expects you to do all the work. Then complains all the time about what you do.

You could end up in an Hostel or Hotel room with all your property, passport and money gone...

You could end up with an Axe murderer!

This is why the denizens of the TA Solo Travel Forum, council against taking such a course of action.

TA also is an unregulated site!! After all, think about how much info you had to provide when registering, from "hardly any" to "you can pretty much say anything" in your profile. No doubt most of us are honest, but the reality is, that not everyone is. So for all that the other travel information you can gain here is GREAT, TA really is not a safe site to find that perfect buddy.

How would you know that they are who they say they are?

How would they know that you are who you say they are?

Besides, the Solo Travel Forum was set-up for the purpose of helping people who WANT to travel solo, not for people that don't want to travel solo! Read the "How to use this Forum" sticky, at the top of the threads listing, if you don't want to believe me.

Yes, 'twas I who started the "Travel Buddy Thread" admittedly in a fit of pique. I did not expect it to become the behemoth that it has!!

However, on the first few pages of that thread, are links to other websites that are "policed" and where you might find that seeking the elusive travel companion is safer.

So this thread is to provide a better place for such links and hopefully will become more useful.

Be careful out there folks, better to go it alone, than hook-up with some nut-job!

Regards, EW

255 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,768 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

OK, here is a link to that notorious thread for starters

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k68253…

And here is a link to TA's STICKY that tells you what this forum is for

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k24133…

Edited: 8:59 am, April 06, 2014
Essex
Level Contributor
31,768 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

And following are some links to useful Travel Companion finding sites, that have previously been mentioned.

Please add further links here if you come across any good, reliable ones.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,768 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

The lovely and wise suebovington suggested these, and I have unashamedly copy/pasted from her information:

www.travbuddy.com

http://www.travellerspoint.com

www.triptogether.com

“Companions to Travel” I think they charge about £5.00 a month (which I think is a rip off). I also think they do socials to get to know the person/people you are intending to travel with.

www.thelmaandlouise.com

vivitrip.com Be sure to get know the persons well by exchanging private messages, reading their trips, etc.

www.wandermates.com

If you have a particular hobby then a dedicated site to that would be a good place to start

Essex
Level Contributor
31,768 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

And this suggestion from member RomaCondesa

<<Another site to safely find travel buddies is www.timeblend.com/ This forum is fairly closed, so your personal information is protected.>>

Essex
Level Contributor
31,768 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

And here is another unashamed copy and paste of some excellent information compiled by Forum DE bk_t1, who clearly put in tons of effort to help our travellers....

<<Note that TripAdvisor is a public forum board - DO NOT share your email or phone number with strangers, in a post. If you need to send someone an message within TripAdvisor, this can be done by clicking on one's screen name.

Here is a list of other TripAdvisor places/forums to check out for different types of information. There is a pretty good search feature on TripAdvisor - so just type a search word(s) into the search box right below the Solo Travel forum header.

1) Destination Forum Board - for example, if you are going to London, check out the London board (usually, not always, locals know best)

2) Outdoors / Adventure Travel tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10701-Outdoors…

3) Holiday Travel tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12334-Holiday_…

4) Road Trips tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

5) Train Travel tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

6) TripAdvisor Causes tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12140-TripAdvi…

Travel-Buddy Links previously reported/compiled (no guarantees)

Great Advice from DE Sue.

While this is not a safe site to find a travel buddy (and is a forum for travelling as a Solo) there have been a number of suggestions in the past. I know none of these sites, have no idea how safe they are. First, you should never tell anyone where you will be on your own away from home, or tell people you meet up with where you are staying. If they are legit you don't know who's listening behind you or who their friends are. This is a regular way to scam and steal. Knowing you are not in your room or that being solo if they wait for you to leave and know there will be no one in there. Knowing where you keep your money in your bag. There are thieves, mentally ill and just plain limpet like bores.Take care who you pick and how much you tell them.

Sites previously mentioned in posts - No particular order:

www.travbuddy.com

www.travellerspoint.com

www.triptogether.com

www.companions2travel.co.uk/ (website was down) “Companions to Travel” I think they charge about £5.00 a month. I also think they do socials to get to know the person/people you are intending to travel with.

www.thelmaandlouise.com

www.vivitrip.com Be sure to get know the persons well by exchanging private messages, reading their trips, etc.

www.wandermates.com

www.timeblend.com is another site to safely find travel buddies. The forum is fairly closed, so your personal information is protected.

www.ricksteves.com/travel-forum - The Rick Steves' Traveler Helpline has a section called "Travel Partners."

ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning/tip…

www.seniortravelingcompanion.com

www.meetup.com Go to your own city and do a search for travel clubs or go to your destination city and look for meetups for a particular interest/hobby.

www.fravelmag.com for more research

Couch Surfing (since these concepts are often linked) - here are a couple good posts.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k2873484…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k6934461…

Hostels and Couch Surfing compared:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k6325682…

Great post on "meeting people" while traveling:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k6471412…>>

Essex
Level Contributor
31,768 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

OK, I have gleaned the best out of the old "grumpy" thread, and hope that the info here helps.

I am NOT a TA Staffer, just another TA member like you, but one who loves to travel solo, and also loves to travel SAFE! So I have not used any of the sites placed in this thread, and like the other staunch soloists here, cannot endorse them.

Remember that "solicitation" is not allowed on TA. Read the forum posting guidelines, if you do not want to believe me, there is a link to them in blue text above every posting textbox. I can see it as I write this, it says

"Read our community guidelines"

And here is an up to date link to them as well, so no excuse ;-)

help.tripadvisor.co.uk/articles/200613647

Those who are directly seeking travel buddies on TA are, in fact, soliciting, such posts may end up being removed, but that is because we all want you to be safe as well.

Happy Travels

EW

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,661 posts
141 reviews
7. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

EW, you've done a great job putting together all Sue and bk's previous posts.

Diplomatically phrased and very informative too!

Many thanks for taking the considerable amount of time to do this. I'm sure other posters will appreciate your efforts.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,661 posts
141 reviews
8. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Bump

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,344 posts
1 review
9. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

"You could end up with an Axe murderer!"

i bet your trip wouldnt be boooring and one you wouldnt forget too soon.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,661 posts
141 reviews
10. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

If you are looking for a travel buddy, please read the first 6 posts of this thread.

The information in these posts will help you find safe, secure and monitored websites that do provide a buddy search service.

Trip Advisor is a public unmonitored web site and does not provide a buddy service.

Reply to: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted