We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am failing as a solo traveller

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,354 posts
Save Topic
I am failing as a solo traveller

next month i am off to Lanzarote for a week with my friend Mr G, ok we will be going out separate ways during the day and at night joining up for meals and drinks.

So I am now planning a week in Prague for my annual trip to the Czech beer festival (end of May beginning June), was quite happy to go solo but my mate Andy wants to come along. I have travelled with Andy many times including at least 4 previous Czech beer festivals but i just feel a complete fairlure at Solo Travelling.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am failing as a solo traveller

Unclegus.....look at it this way

You've been such a successful solo traveller that now your friends want to copy you......even if that does mean following you on your travels!

I hope you have a great time in Lanzarote

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,038 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am failing as a solo traveller

Oh what the heck, the point is that you enjoy it and it is the best trip you can make it. Sounds the perfect soloution to me.

I don't think it's a condition that you must go solo all the time. Just that lack of company shouldn't keep you at home if you want to do something.

Variety is the spice of life.

I've had such a rubbish year or more and am currently thinking of going with a holiday company so I can just book and go, let someone else take the strain. Tho doing my own thing when I get there because the trips are too brief for me. Short solo trips still planned between the work.

Edited: 4:56 am, January 11, 2014
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am failing as a solo traveller

Hi,

As you may remember Mr.Riff has also decided to join me on trips this coming year!!

My sister has also decided to meet me for 2 domestic girls trips.

I suppose this is the year of the x-solo travelers!! Not sure why but we've all successfully traveled alone and now we have others following us!! I think you'll have fun with your friends along and I hope I'll have fun too!!

suebovington-- Here's hoping 2014 is a better year!!

The end of 2013 was not fun for me either so hoping it all improves!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am failing as a solo traveller

Oh my. So I'm not the only whose solo travel calendar got thrown off kilter in 2014.

I'm going with a friend to Brazil for the World Cup (although I will take a solo side trip at the end to one of those places I've always wanted to go to, but isn't really a place the tourist hordes take over), and then a trip to Croatia in September with family.

2015 will be back to travel solitude, glorious solitude.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,354 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I am failing as a solo traveller

thanks for all the support.i really don't think some people understand the absolute joy of travelling on your own,its not for everyone but once you get over that hurdle of being on your own then the oppertunities that can open up for you are endless. I find travelling with other folk though I do enjoy it just does not allow the spontenaity that can be achieved when on your own.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,038 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am failing as a solo traveller

Hit the nail on the head UG. You must let us know how you got on if you can.

I have found travelling with friends while nice to chat & share, claustrophobic. I don't get to know new people. But think that is a female thing where they don't want to be left alone and everything has to be discussed and agreed on.

I once had a friend that was happy to travel but we did our own thing once there as we liked different stuff, and met and shared at the end of the day. That was good.

There was 20yrs or so difference in our ages but I have never found that a problem with that. Different viewpoints made it interesting.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,354 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I am failing as a solo traveller

the good thing is the folk that i am travelling with this year i have travelled with before. the mate i am travelling to lanzarote just does not like walking so we arrange our own stuff during the day but at night we can get out on the town together.the mate I am travelling to Prague with i have travelled with many times and we now work some of the time in the same building (he's finnace side i am science side so we don't work together) .We get on great and do usuallly spend time doing our own thing but much of the stuff we both like doing and we both are always up to try new things.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am failing as a solo traveller

Oh Dear.... Unclegusitis is catching.......just booked a trip to Dubrovnik with a friend. Shame on us solo travellers for having such a good time!!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,038 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am failing as a solo traveller

It all sounds great all these trips. Hope you all have a great time.

I have had two friends want to go on the snorkeling/dive boat trip I do, there is also a reunion cruise but I really don't want to go with anyone. The travelling bit would be nice but I love the trip for meeting new people so I'm discouraging them. Likewise a 'reunion' trip, prefer to have new experiences.

On the other hand I've found a package trip to Sicilly that is going to all the places bar one I had in my plan and it's not charging single supplement so very interested. The difficulty is that by the time I go they could have changed the route so still thinking about it. I wouldn't want to traipse around with 14 and a guide so would research and do my own exploring.

Another friend wants my company but she likes to sit by a pool and doesn't even read so I would be going as her entertainment............don't think that's going to happen.

Edited: 7:15 pm, January 14, 2014
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
186 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am failing as a solo traveller

<i>"I once had a friend that was happy to travel but we did our own thing once there as we liked different stuff, and met and shared at the end of the day. That was good."</i>

That's the way I would love to travel........I enjoy sharing experiences and having some company for drinks or dinner, but I hate having to negotiate every move when traveling with other people. The thing that keeps me from saying I prefer to travel alone is that I'd like someone to chat about my exciting day with, and hear his/her exciting news.....I like traveling alone, but I miss that sharing.

Get answers to your questions