We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiding wedding rings

London
Level Contributor
402 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
hiding wedding rings

Hi,

I (we) am a fairly simply dressed traveller, so i dont overly attract attention in the negative sense as a target (i hope), now i have recently gotten married and have a simple band on.

I am curious if it now shows signs of wealth in certain countries. I have read in central and south america it can be a risk to wearing it, do others agree. More specifically in Asia is it a risk?

thank you

Mark

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,358 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiding wedding rings

The only time I wear a wedding ring is when I travel!

I agree it is tactless and I suppose possibly dangerous, to flash expensive belongings in a poor country but that would probably include ipads as much as jewellery.

However, unless your wedding band is covered in diamonds it is unlikely that, of itself, it would provoke a robbery. Some women turn their engagement ring with the diamond on the inside when they walk around a dodgy area, and generally, it is better not to travel with things that are irreplaceable such as family heirlooms but that would probably apply to London, which is remarkably safe for a large international city, as well as to other parts of the world.

The best way to stay safe is to do your research with reputable guidebooks and the FCO website before you go on holiday and don't abandon your street smarts just because you are away from home.

(BTW, I suspect your wife would not be happy about the suggestion that when you travel solo you should not wear your wedding ring)

Edited: 6:23 am, December 03, 2013
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,495 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiding wedding rings

It is surprising how many places in the world now use gold wedding bands, but plain and simple.

When I travel I only take the plainest simple stuff, nothing I can't afford to loose. I've even collected some attractive cheap jewellery to wear.

There are many,mainly older married women who do go to these places dripping in gold and jewels. It seems to be very visible when so many in the country don't. Also out of place.

A simple band is understood.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,397 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiding wedding rings

I wouldn't worry about your wedding band! I agree that dripping in jewelry while traveling is NOT a good idea. It is not only about being a target for thieves but it is also that you might lose things and it is just not necessary to dress that way!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiding wedding rings

I just wear one plain gold ring. I leave my engagement ring and wedding ring at home. I only take costume jewellry.

My hubby had a thick gold chain ripped from his neck in Asia. He doesn't wear it when travelling now.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiding wedding rings

Hi Mark,

I wouldn't see wearing a simple wedding ring as risky, including in Asia. But goes without saying you'd better watch out not to leave it in your hotel room, if you take it off while having a shower or something.

Arusha
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: hiding wedding rings

A wedding ring can be very helpful to protect from disturbing (approaching) people.. in some areas (well i don't know exactly for Asia, but that is how it is in parts of Africa) many people think that the white tourists have so much money and try to hook up. That is why many tourists and volunteers here (eg in Tanzania) wear wedding rings, even if they are not married..just to protect themselves from too many approaches ;-)

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiding wedding rings

i've always wore my jewellery

diamon encrusted wedding ring, diamond ring, diamond stud earrings, and a bracelet and pendent

whilst i've never had a problem feeling uncomfortable wearing my jeweelery, i have learnt my lesson

i take it off if im ever going to any sort of massage

as once when my cousin took me for a massage in china, the first thing the girls pointed out was that my *rock* was huge and that i must be *loaded* this then brought on many questions, as they knew i was a tourist (but my cousin being a local)

with their questioning, i felt uncomfortable ... bearing in mind these wasn't guys they was girls

but in general its safe...

Edited: 8:19 pm, December 16, 2013
8. Re: hiding wedding rings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 18, 2014