We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female-Travel to Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia?

Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Female-Travel to Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia?

Hi,

I am planning my next international trip for mid-November 2013. I prefer to travel solo, but I can't decide if I should spend 2 weeks traveling thru Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia. Any insight would help as far as weather, expense, sightseeing and safety of female solo traveler is concerned. Thanks!

MT

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,515 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Female-Travel to Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia?

I did 3 weeks in Sabah (Borneo) and loved it. Rainforest, coral seas and interesting mix of cultures. Traveling the rivers through the rainforest is wonderful. I would say it was all about wildlife for this country - gems and shoes are the main shopping items.

Expense would depend on what you plan to do and how.

This would be expensive but an amazing experience http://www.orangutan.org.au/adventure-tours I have met the guy behind it and he is really keen.

There are lots of companies, day trips, islands to visit that can be done on a budget. The forum is very helpful for this

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g294227-i9728-Bo…

Safety would be common sense. I found the people lovely and helpful but you still have to be alert. You are a wealthy westerner in a poor country. The usual precautions apply

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Female-Travel to Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia?

For Israel: in November the weather is unpredictable. Rain is possible, but when it does rain it’s usually for no more than a couple of days at a time. Temperature depends where in the country; Jerusalem (being up in the mountains) is cooler than Tel Aviv (on the coast). Eilat is much warmer than either of them. That’s just a broad generalisation.

Costs in Israel are similar to Western Europe. It’s not a budget destination. However, public transport is fairly cheap, comfortable and on most routes of interest to tourists it’s reasonably (or very) frequent.

Sightseeing: plenty of everything. In no particular order – history (every period), religion (no shortage of holy places, which are interesting whatever your religion, or lack of religion), extremely varied scenery in a small country, architecture, museums, food, nightlife, everything.

Safety: no problem provided you use your common sense. Random street crime is almost unknown. Security is taken very seriously, for everyone’s protection.

There are no religious holidays causing disruption in November.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
5,424 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Female-Travel to Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia?

Israel is an experience for sure and one I'm glad to have made, as a solo-trip as well. However, Borneo is very nice. In addition to Sabah, don't pass up an opportunity to spend a couple days in Kuching, Sarawak on the other side of Borneo, that is one neat little town along a river.

Put my vote down for Borneo for pretty much the same reasons that suebovington has listed above.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Female-Travel to Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia?

I love my country, but if cost is an issue, WA is going to be by far the most expensive - both in terms of airfare to get here and travel costs.

The mining boom and the associated number of FIFO (fly-in-fly-out) workers, make accommodation in WA the most expensive in Australia - itself not a cheap destination.

Also, the distances in WA are vast so the only feasible way to see most of the state is to fly - and there's no budget options in WA. Even getting to the Maragret River and SW corner would require a car.

Borneo is a fascinating place. Lots to do, lots to see and cheap. And the food is THE BEST! That would be my recommendation if you want a lot of bang for your buck.

I would just caution you against staying in hotels that seem too cheap to be believed - they may turn out to be somewhat less than you, as a Westerner, have come to expect in terms of cleanliness and facilities.

Decent hotels are still cheap so pay a few $$s extra to get the level of comfort you probably expect.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Female-Travel to Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia?

Another vote for Borneo, this time for Sarawak & Kuching, although with two weeks you could go to both Sabah and Sarawak.

I stayed at the Kuching Hilton, which would not usually be my hotel chain of choice(not that any chain would be) but it was incredibly cheap, the breakfast was terrific and the location on the river at one end of the charming small park that runs along the bank of the river that runs through Kuching couldn't be beaten. The whole city turns up to promenade through the park in the evening and the food stalls have wonderful cheap food.

Try to book your up river stay in tribal accommodation before you leave. It was fully booked by the time I made enquiries and I feel I really missed out.

Western Australia is certainly on my travel list, but as evemelb said it is an expensive destination.

Edited: 5:31 am, January 27, 2013
Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Female-Travel to Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia?

Thank you everyone for your input. It was very helpful and I have decided on Borneo! Happy travels to everyone.

London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Female-Travel to Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia?

Wow that is quite a choice.

Have toured Borneo in 2011 and have lived in West Aus.Cannot think of too more different locations.

Borneo ,very green ,very humid, breathtaking in its beauty.

West Aus ,if around Perth, then obviously a city ,which could not be more different to Borneo if it tried.

Aus will mean no problems with language.Having said that I did not have any problems with language in Borneo.I can not say which is best depends on if you are out for adventure .

8. Re: Solo Female-Travel to Borneo, Israel, or Western Australia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 25, 2014