We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Trip/Barge Cruises - Europe

chargirl
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
River Trip/Barge Cruises - Europe

I am really interested in learning more about Barge & River Cruises. I like the idea of a small ship (hate cruising on the large ships because of the huge number of peeps). I am a single professional business woman and love the thought of exploring the European water ways. I would like to do this either Spring or Fall.

Question: Any suggestions regarding the various river trips or barge trips? What is the typical age group?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River Trip/Barge Cruises - Europe

Welcome to the Solo Travel Forum!

There may be people who frequent this forum who have done what you want to do, but you might also try posting this on the TA sister site, Cruise Critic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/ Like TA, it is free to join.

They have a section for River Cruising that looks fairly lively. I found CC very helpful when I took the QM2 to cross the Atlantic. I chose my cabin and dinner seating on their advice and the choices made all the difference.

Cruise Critic also has a Roll Call section where people signed up for a particular cruise can chat on line and "meet" people before the departure.

Often there also is a "meet up" of roll call members on the 2nd night of the trip, but I don't know if that applies to river cruises.

I once met a fascinating woman in her 40s in Washington DC who had taken a European river cruise and loved it. If the other passengers are like her, you would have a great time.

I saw that in one of your previous posts you put your email address. That is a sure way to get a whole host of spam, including a "receipt" for your paypal/Amazon/whatever account for something you never bought.. You will be told that you need to "click this link" if you have any questions. The link of course is a phising scam.

You will also get interesting offers to help some poor Nigerian claim his inheritance.

The TA Forums have a private message facility so anyone who wants to message you privately can.

Edited: 3:33 am, January 06, 2013
Essex
Level Contributor
26,997 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Trip/Barge Cruises - Europe

This company have extensive river tours in europe so may be a good start:

http://www.croisieurope.travel/

Viking Cruises have a reasonable reputation:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk/

and this is a useful website which covers many companies:

http://www.europerivercruises.co.uk/

googling 'european river cruises' will net you many other useful sites.

Cruise Critic is probably the place to gain the true 'low down' on any of them, though....

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Trip/Barge Cruises - Europe

The little barge trips are very intimate and fun. I've done them in Burgundy and the Veneto and loved it. Folks are usually over 50, but physically in decent shape and intellectually curious, in my experience. I think the food is better on the small ones, too. Max capacity on them is usually about 16.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River Trip/Barge Cruises - Europe

Wife and I are contemplating the Bruges to Paris barge tour on the LA NOUVELLE ETOILE. Has anyone any useful information or insights into this barge or indeed any other barge trips in Belgium/France?

Regards

pearso

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,415 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River Trip/Barge Cruises - Europe

If you know the country, areas you want to cruise it is worth asking on the forum for that country.

To find other forums go to the large search box at the top of the page , type ' Bruges Forum' (for example) then click on the blue hyperlink saying Bruges Forum under the name as it comes up.

By the way Pears, what are you and your wife doing on the Solos forum - are you planning to divorce her :-)

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: River Trip/Barge Cruises - Europe

Didn't realise I was in this solo forum and no, I'm not intending any seperation. Thanks for the info. I hope my wife is telling me everything ...........

7. Re: River Trip/Barge Cruises - Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 06, 2014