We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maybe a strange question but .......

berkshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
maybe a strange question but .......

this may seem a odd question but how do other solo travellers get round the tricky bit of putting suncream on their backs ?

i have travelled solo a few times and always end up with burnt bits of my back where i cannot reach !!!!

not sure i could just ask a random stranger to apply my sun lotion for me , so any tips would be greatly appreciated by my poor back

thanks sharon

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maybe a strange question but .......

Use a spray and hope for the best!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: maybe a strange question but .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU0WgnSRkbQ

the solution to your problem

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maybe a strange question but .......

I spray up in the hotel room and don't seem to have an issue. When reapplying on the beach, I try to find a less windy spot. Before sprays, it was a challenge for me.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,297 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maybe a strange question but .......

vamp, you put the cream on the back of your hand (not the plam) then when you put your arm behind you it is on the right place to rub over your back :-)

Someone showed me last year and it works a treat. with a little practise it's easy.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,297 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maybe a strange question but .......

You can get mitts from the chemist that are loofah one side and flannel the other....for washing you back use one of those on the back of you hand.

Just saying, while we're at it.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,478 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maybe a strange question but .......

Just ask a nice 'mumsy' looking lady, they usually will help! Ensure they are wilth all their family, then no 'inference' can be confered other than that you need help!!

Ask the lifeguard - he/she is supposed to be 'involved' in safety of ALL kinds!!

Otherwise, contortion and 'back of the hand' trick works well if you are fairly flexy!

If you need a bit of extr reach, try the back of your hairbrush....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,127 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: maybe a strange question but .......

A suntan spray works great..................I use one all the time..

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: maybe a strange question but .......

Hm... I can always reach all parts of my back with my hands,I do not think I have longer arms than the averrage person...

Unless that someone has a physial condition I think that making moves that seem weird is the factor that some parts of skin are left without sunsream rather than really not been able to reach. Some people are embarrased to be seen stretching or twisting their arms, personaly I have overcome such issues. If for some reason you could do with longer arms eg arms do not bend or something, I find than putting some suns cream on sunscream tube/bottle itsself then applying on back works fine, even if it seems weird. You then remove rest of cream from outside of the tube with your hands and applying on a different part of your body with your hands (it's important not to leave back at the end of the applying procedure)

berkshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: maybe a strange question but .......

Thanks for all the various suggestions , i have normally used sprays but still seem to miss bits !!!! and have ended up in a undignified heap on the floor after spaying the floor and slipping on it :-(

i can do my lower back no probs but due to limited shoulder movement cannot reach the top part .

cheers unclegus think i might have to invest in something like that :-)

thanks again for replying

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: maybe a strange question but .......

I don't know if my suggestion is the real answer but the video is a blooming good laugh.

I must admit it is not a problem I have,as I really do not go anywhere that I am likely to get tanned.weather beaten possibly but not tanned.