We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

Hi All: I have a wonderful opportunity to travel every other weekend in the US and am looking for ideas. My ideal scenerio is to fly into a city very early in the morning and fly back late that night. Since time is limited, I need to travel to cities that have short routes from airport to city with easy transportation in order to make the most of my day. I would prefer not to stay overnight, but can. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,881 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

What are your interests? What sort of things do you want to see/do? Or do you just want to 'hit' cities to get a feel for the country?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,834 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

Boston would be a great option. The airport is very close to the city and it's a great walkable city. You can take public transportation or a taxi into Boston. You can even take a water taxi!

Also add New Orleans (an easy flat-rate cab ride into the French Quarter), and Washington DC.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

You also need cities that are not too far away from your home!

The main part of San Diego's downtown is just 2 miles from the airport but I think you'd have to stay overnight to make it worthwhile to go that far!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

Graceland is close to Memphis's airport.

Reagan National is on a few Metro lines for a quick jaunt into D.C.

Atlanta-Hartsfield likewise is connected via subway to downtown Atlanta.

Milwaukee airport isn't too far from the fairgrounds for all the weekend summer festivals there.

MSP is right next to Minnesota's Mall of America if you want to do some shopping.

Small cities with airports are nearly always quick trips to the sights worth seeing. E.g., fly into Charlottesville, VA, and all the Jefferson sites are right there. Or maybe Paducah, KY.

Most difficult airport/city placement situation (not including Denver, which is in a league of its own): Cincinnati, Baltimore, Orlando, and Houston (George Bush Intercontinental, not Hobby).

Enjoy the speed-vacationing.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,043 posts
5,329 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

I suggest sticking to the classics, NYC, Boston, Miami, Chicago, LA, San Francisco and Las Vegas and to throw in a couple second tier goodies like Phoenix, Seattle, Atlanta, Philly and New Orleans. This should keep you busy for a while.

The dark horse city for real fun is Austin, Texas. Its not really a hidden secret or anything, just much smaller than those listed above so a bit off the radar for tier one places to visit in the USA. Good luck and have a great time visiting US destinations.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,533 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

You are pretty vague about what your interests are....several good suggestions above. I like the ideas of New Orleans and Austin for food and fun. San Francisco might work. But again, no idea what you're looking to do. I'll add that Minneapolis works for the Mall, but you can reach downtown via lightrail, so that's an idea.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

Hi: Thanks for so many great suggestions! I've been to about half of what's listed so I'll definitely add the other half to my list. I have lots of interests including hiking, some shopping, horseback riding, love the beach, would like to sky dive some time, some historical interest, but mainly just want to hit as many cities as i can just to see different cultures and landscapes due to the time constraints. Keep your ideas coming, I'm grateful! Thanks again.

Edited: 8:18 pm, March 03, 2012
Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

I would add Chicago to the list. You can spend the day shopping on Magnificent Mile and also sight see. There are tons of restaurants downtown!

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

Very good List given by Bradjill reply # 5.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
943 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best One Day or Weekend Cities to Visit

One day visit is fine for small cities, bur for most cities who are mentionned one or two nights (or more) are better options.