We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to see the world , how , how long can I go ??

Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
I want to see the world , how , how long can I go ??

Planning on heAding to se Asia next year , I have nothing to come back for and want to stay for a extended amount of time , I want to discover the world . But how much do I need to go with ,? Volunteer I know they offer accomidations and food soni thought that , also I see it's hard to find work in these countries , help with any advice , I. Reality I would love to see all se ASIa , Nepal , china , Australia and Africa , I have no time limit , only thing stopping me I have to say is money , help thanks

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want to see the world , how , how long can I go ??

You will land a job if you're ready to do it for a very modest pay plus it might be dirty job. So, if you are ready to take up on these challenges, go for it.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want to see the world , how , how long can I go ??

You don't say what passport/s you hold. That will affect how long you cxan stay in each country. The terms of most tourist visas do not allow you to work legally.

I would not want to be caught doing something illegal as the consequences can vary from simply being chucked out of the country (and perhaps banned from furture entry), being fined, to being held in prison until deportation.

The embassy websites for the various countries will give you some idea what the terms of various visas are.

If you are a native English speaker (or, perhaps, very fluent)

you could maximise your chance of earing money by taking a TEFL (Teaching English as a second language) course; then you are bringing something to another country that the rresidents are less likely to be able to do. It won't pay well, but it would be better that most labouring jobs which are unlikely to pay what you could live on. It also increases your chance of being given permission to work legally.

Note also that many countries require proof that you can and will leave the country before they will let you in. The usual proof is an onward ticket.

Many countries also want to see evidence that you can support yourself while in the country. This can involve a cash, a credit card or bank account.

Please do the research before you launch yourself into this project.

If you really want to live aboard for sometime, you might consider applying for the Peace Corp or VSO, if you are (respectively) American or British.

You will being doing useful work for low but adequate pay and, at least in the case of the Peace Corps, coming back to a savings account/leaving bonus. Both projects provide time for travelling as well.

Edited: 1:50 am, July 18, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want to see the world , how , how long can I go ??

Following on from all the good advice from above, you should note that what you are talking about sounds very much like “emigrating” into the country rather than just simply visiting as a tourist. On a one way ticket, you are going to encounter a great deal of problems trying to get into most countries

Emigration is a long and difficult process, if you wish to really see the world for an extended period of time you could either join one of the voluntary organisations or Merchant Navy, as one of my former Geography teacher did, who then went on to write some travel books. Travelling in 2011 requires deep pockets because no where is that cheap.

My best advice would be to spend two years, at least, planning this beforehand. Read up on the subject you will require all your inoculations, get all your teeth fixed, buy some insurance and gain some practical skills, the question you should ask yourself is what practical skills can you bring to this country? Qualifying as a plumber is actually a plus points and will be seen favourably.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,430 posts
5,644 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I want to see the world , how , how long can I go ??

There are vast shortages of qualified (and non-qualified) English teachers in much of SE Asia. In some places, HK, Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai (for starters), you can earn very good money if you are a good educator. Its easy to find work in this field if you are interested in hanging out in Asia for a while. This includes many other places other than those listed above (Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc.). Also, the Middle East has a shortage these days, Qatar is always seeking help, for example.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want to see the world , how , how long can I go ??

If you can arrange a job before you leave, that will make it much more likely that you can get a visa that permits you to work.

I appreciate that lots of people work illegally in various countries, just as lots of people overstay their visas, but if you do get caught the consequences can be very unpleasant.

Please, whatever you do, keep it legal.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I want to see the world , how , how long can I go ??

Well I won't be doing anything illegal , I know for Thailand I could just go do a visa run and come back or leave for 24 h and re enter . I want to do some volunteer work in different countries , I mean I can always come home if I run out of money which I hope not . I'm interested in going to Australia to make money but heard I need 5 grand for the holiday working visa , so maybe going to Australia to make more money first would work as well , I have a Canadian passport .ill have around 12.000 to go on this trip .

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,834 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I want to see the world , how , how long can I go ??

Smilz, sounds like a great time to grab this oportunity. Just take care. Remember for such a long time and if you are working in local conditions to get all the jabs, and malaria pills. I know of a few girls doing volunteering who didn;t bother to continue them and have the disease for life.

Get insurance, treatment in another country will be sooo expensive. Make sure you keep enough money (not in cash, travellers cheque) somewhere safe that will get you a ticket home.

When you look at volunteer sites check how you are going to get bottled water (or take a large supply of steriliser with you) and what the accommodation will be like throughout. I saw one for Sri Lanka that looked great, checked the accomm on here and found someone who had been. It was down a country road and used as a brothel at night! If I had been on my own....

8. Re: I want to see the world , how , how long can I go ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 15, 2012