We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time solo traveller looking for a place to go.

liverpool
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
First time solo traveller looking for a place to go.

Need your help. I'm 37 year old female. Not done much travelling. Live in Liverpool. Not looking to travel to far on this trip. In need of a holiday. Looking for somewhere with sunshine and want to treat myself to a bit of luxury. Well somewhere that doesnt break the bank. Looking to do a 5 - 7 night trip. I'm a bit shy and a introvert. Like to do a all inclusive holiday and do a few excursions. Would like somewhere with a bit of evening entertainment. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time solo traveller looking for a place to go.

I'm not sure if it will work for you in terms of travel distance or budget, but an all inclusive resort that I think would be a good fit for you is the Body Holiday at Lesport in St. Lucia. This resort caters to solo travelers in the following ways:

1) They have single occupancy rooms that are about half the price of two people staying in a double room; many (most) AI resorts, at least in the Caribbean/Mexico, do not have single rooms and a solo traveler usually is penalized financially by paying a higher per person rate, sometimes substantially more (this is often referred to as a "single supplement" and is a source of displeasure for many solo travelers who prefer AI resorts, tours, cruises.

2) Partially because of 1 (I think about 36 of ~150 rooms are single rooms), LeSport attracts a lot of solo travelers (usually more women than men) and they always have a communal table in the main dining room for solo travelers. It is very easy to meet other people, even if you are an introvert or are shy.

3)It has a lot of stuff included (more than your typical AI resort), so if you like spa treatments and/or fitness/sports activities, it really is a good value (one spa treatment is included, and tons of sports (water and land) and classes.

4) St. Lucia has a ton of naturally beauty. If you go, it is definitely worthwhile to take an excursion to the south part of the island (I'm more of an independent traveler and don't like tours usually, but I really liked the "Land and Sea" tour I did on St. Lucia.

5) LeSport markets heavily to the UK, and despite the distance, I think there are often attractive packages and direct flights from the UK. Despite living much closer on the US east coast near Washington, DC, I think many of the people I met at LeSport from the UK had a shorter travel day than I did.

Anyway, it has been awhile since I was there (Dec 2006) but I posted a review on TripAdvisor if you are interested in more details.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time solo traveller looking for a place to go.

What sort of price range did you have in mind? And does it have to be all inclusive or just have a restaurant?

Egypt haspretty much guaranteed sun and some really interesting excursions. For an adult, something like the Moevanpick on Elephantine Island might be better than the Red Sea resorts, although I’m told that Dahab has some grown up resorts that aren't so family focused.

Another possiblity, depending on the time of year, is some of the resorts outside Luxor. They have sun, pools, a bit of luxury and places to go and sights to see that beat the socks off most other places in the world.

I have been to Egypt as a solo female and felt both safe and relatively un-hasseled. I wore loose linen trousers or ankle lenth skirts and loose tops with sleeves to my elbows or below, and no low necklines.

I was cool and comfortable outside the hotels and got a great tan by the pool.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time solo traveller looking for a place to go.

I understand. I travel alone once a year. Went to Negril, Jamaica at 36; Cancun Mexico at 37, made my first trip to Europe last year (Italy and France) and am thinking somewhere in the Caribbean this November.

An all inclusive resort is a great way to break into traveling solo (no maps or getting lost, although people get friendly they don't harass you and it's easy to budget how much you have to spend once food, drink, room and flight are paid). Both Mexico and Jamaica have beautiful weather and have choices in multiple price ranges.

Please let me know what you decide and how you enjoy it. Traveling solo is very freeing and relaxing. Have a great time!! :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,857 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time solo traveller looking for a place to go.

Good luck with finding a place that is right for you. I travel solo often to sunny places, but since I'm west coast USA my spots are not going to work for you (I like Hawaii and Mexico). I don't go all-inclusive because I prefer to explore things around town. I've never had a bad trip yet! ~suze

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time solo traveller looking for a place to go.

You might consider Club Med in Turks & Caicos islands in the Caribbean. American Airlines flies there.

6. Re: First time solo traveller looking for a place to go.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2010