We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

Hi all,

I will be turning 30 in October and have a strong desire (which I can't really explain) to celebrate it with a spontaneous trip somewhere. I've thought of everything from hopping on a plane to Vegas and taking in some shows for a few days, to going to NYC for a weekend. I thought I would make a post on this forum to get ideas and perhaps feedback from people who have made such trips.

So things to consider:

- I would be traveling alone (I'm single)

- I am currently located east coast Canada

- Money is not really an obstacle but I don't want to spend an excessive amount of money (which I would define as $3k+)

- Due to work commitments I would limit myself to a 4-5 day trip

- I'm the kind of person who enjoys history/arts more than hot weather/beaches

Your trip ideas are welcome!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,953 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

Congratulations!

Have you thought about a European destination? With 5 days you could visit one city and have a nice taster.

London? Amsterdam? Paris? Florence? Rome?

A 30th birthday is a time for making your own, very personal dream happen as a sign that you are really on the path to who you will be as an adult.

London is great on your own and I suspect the others are as well.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
945 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

Vancouver.

It's a fantastic city with a lot to see and many places to have fun (Yaletown especially).

There are also plenty great american cities on the east coast: NYC, Boston, Philadelphia,...

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,953 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

Chris has a very good point.

Of his suggestions Boston, might suit your criteria particularly well. The lower airfare would give you more money to treat yourself to a fabulous hotel and IMO October in Boston is wonderful.

The underground/metro/subway is excellent and the leaves may still be fabulous colours.

But above all, this must be your very individual trip. I certainly agree that a trip on your own is a great way to turn 30.

As a 60 something, I can promise that life keeps getting more interesting. Your twenties, however rewarding, are just a rehersal.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,716 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

There are sooooo many possibilities! Don't you have a "dream city" that you've always wanted to visit??

As an X-NYrker, I of course would say that if you have not been to NYC it certainly has lots of art/history/culture which might tempt you to visit!

In Europe, I prefer Paris to London but my favorite is Venice which just makes me tear up every time I think of it!

The other possibility with a real youthful vibe is Barcelona. There's a big world out there,even for just 5 nights!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,031 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

Normally I would not suggest Europe for only 5 days,, jet lag,, but since you live on the east coast,, your flight will be much shorter then mine is,, and you will likely not suffer as much from jet lag.. so .. GO TO PARIS ,, the most wonderful city for solo women travellers. I felt completely safe there, and I love stopping in at the cafes on my own,, you never feel odd there.. the museums are amazing, the art, the beautiful buidlings,, the great food, the wine,, the chocolate, and pastries..

How can you not want to check out Paris! LOL

There are many safe , clean, well located hotels for solo ladies .. and you will likely find cheap airfare now!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,031 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

Normally I would not suggest Europe for only 5 days,, jet lag,, but since you live on the east coast,, your flight will be much shorter then mine is,, and you will likely not suffer as much from jet lag.. so .. GO TO PARIS ,, the most wonderful city for solo women travellers. I felt completely safe there, and I love stopping in at the cafes on my own,, you never feel odd there.. the museums are amazing, the art, the beautiful buidlings,, the great food, the wine,, the chocolate, and pastries..

How can you not want to check out Paris! LOL

There are many safe , clean, well located hotels for solo ladies .. and you will likely find cheap airfare now!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,775 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

Amsterdam? London? Paris? Montreal? Boston? NYC?

Because of the short duration I'd probably keep it to east coast US or Europe. But if you don't mind the longer flight, I'd toss in Vancouver or San Francisco to the mix.

For a significant birthday, I think Europe would be fantastic. (I was in Switzerland for my 40th, and Hawaii for my 50th - I think a trip is an excellent way for a single person to celebrate!)

Emeryville...
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

happy almost-birthday!

I love doing these trips for my birthday. My theory is if i have my birthday out of the country, maybe it really doesnt count ; )

I went to sydney for a Big Birthday. What i decided on this trip is that each birthday, i have to do something that challenges me, takes me out of my comfort zone. so wherever you end up, do something that makes you nervous but makes you feel really good after you accomplish it. I swam with sharks in Australia - i have a fear of the water. Getting in the big aquarium tanks with scuba equipment was scarier to me than the fish!

have fun wherever you go,

Vast

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

What about Oktoberfest in Munich or The Lights Festival in Berlin?

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turning 30--looking for a trip idea

You can do a lot in Nicaragua in 4-5 days and perfect place to escape to with beaches, history, colonial cities, active volcanoes etc. www.nicaraguaescapade.weebly.com