We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 Months Solo Europe Travel

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
98 reviews
2.5 Months Solo Europe Travel

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at the logistics of doing a euro trip over august to october next year. This isn't necessarily about solo travel as such, but since there is no Europe specific forum I thought I'd come here. So I am planning to do sail Croatia and do some of the Greek Islands (Santorini, Mykonos and Ios) prior to doing the Ultimate European plus Egypt Contiki tour.

After all that my real question is, will $15,000 AUD be enough spending money? I will have accommodation and transport paid for before I leave, so it will really just be food, drinks, sightseeing etc. I don't drink or go out, and the only souvenirs I buy are the keyrings, which I buy at every country I go to. The last time I went to Europe I did a month long winter Contiki and spent around $3500 including the optionals. Do you think that spending in summer will be roughly the same?

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: 2.5 Months Solo Europe Travel

It sounds like you are going mainly with tours. Surely they would be the best people to ask about how much money your need?

Summer is high season in most of Europe but that affects mainly the price of accommodation rather the costs of food and drink or admission to sights.

What you spent before may be a reasonable guide to what you will spend on this trip.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,340 posts
1 review
2. Re: 2.5 Months Solo Europe Travel

Welcome

Food is way fown the cost/budgets on my 1 month trips. I dont budget, but record expenses

Im moving about more so true sit down meals are few. When i was in peru a few weeks ago i did have more sitdow meals and did spend more. But with the exchange rate, it was a deal for me.

Museums and things like that can addup. Individually, they are small.

I love horses, so if i pickup a horse ride sonewhere that can get spendy. What will you do?

At iguazu falls i took a hilo ride. Way cool AND expensive. But i knew cost upfront so it was not a big surprise and i could budget for it.

Since you are taking tours im guessing you are not the type to plan or read a travel book to see what you may spend $$$ on.

Being spontanious or not doing your own work comes with a price. If you can afford that great and go for it.

One thing you can do is to do the math. This assumes equal expenses each day. But it wont be like that. Some days you will spend more snd some not.

$$$/day ~ 15000/75 day ~ 200 AUS /day.

But depending on what countries in the europe, you money may or nay not go further.

You can do some research if you want. The info is on the web. It wont be exact, but you can get ideas on cost of bottle water, milk, and such.

If you are inclined to do the work when you travel, Assume that each day you have x amount to spend. I sure you wont be getting any cash before you go, but will use a teavel card?

When you arrive in a country, check exchange rate and use that as your number for your time there. So if your in egypt, look at the exchage rate and see how much 200 AUD converts. That will be you daily limit. But you need to do that for each place with different currency.

If its too much work than you can just hope for the best too.

Good luck

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,353 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: 2.5 Months Solo Europe Travel

You say 2.5 months total... but I can't tell how much of that time will be spend with tour groups and how much time you will be on your own (as far as trying to guess at a budget).

Reply to: 2.5 Months Solo Europe Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted