We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?

This will be my first solo trip (40yr old female) and I am a little bit nervous about how best to meet other travelers. I am happy going It alone but of course it would be nice to have other people to share some of the trip and experiences.

I have 8 days over New Year and although I am happy to go to the beach, my priority is to see some of the cultural triangle, visit an elephant sanctuary and a national park.

I would like to include at least one train journey, more if it is possible time wise. I am worried that if I just stay at airbnb's and travel with a car and driver, I won't get to meet any other traveller.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,050 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?

I see you have also posted in the Sri Lanka destination specific forum. That will help with the specifics for this trip. However, 'keeping social' is a general concept and this forum has a number of Top Questions to the right of this post list.....but visible on the full webiste. The app or mobile site is the "lite" version and misses a lot of good detail. I suggest moving to the full version when doing any in depth research, as all forums have these added Top Questions.

One might consider day trips or walking tours. Staying in a hostel can offer social opportunities. But remember it is going to depend as much on your own social aptitudes. If you are not very good at meeting people at home, travel won't change that. If you are, then you most likely won't have to make a conscious effort to stay social...it will just happen.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,805 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?

This may help in respect of the train journey: https://www.seat61.com/SriLanka.htm

Perhaps because I don't stay in hostels my meeting people seems to be really a question of serendipity. I speak with people in a queue, I wrestle with a map while sitting on a bench or I stand looking at the menu outside a restaurant with outdoor seating in Cadiz, am recognised by someone I exchanged pleasantries with at the railway station and we end up having a long and delightful dinner together.

If not meting others to share your trip with would spoil your trip, you might be happier with a small group tour.

If meeting others would just be a pleasant bonus on top of the pleasure of doing what you want when you want, then solo travel may be for you.

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?

great advice, thanks. I am not sure quite how I am going to feel about solo travel yet but I am comfortable by myself generally and Sri Lanka seems like an amazing place and I will be moving location a lot, so I think that will help.

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?

Thanks, I will search properly for other discussions. Much appreciated.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,632 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?

Talk to the people in Sri Lanka. Lovely people in a country used to being on the trade routes so a history of mixing easily with people from other countries.

They are almost as friendly as the people from Malaysia ;-) Both countries where I have felt the most comfortable,

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,012 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?

The interesting part about Asia is that the locals are very curious. Wherever I went (in SEA) as solo traveller, locals approached me to talk to me. Maybe they felt sorry for me, or just curious why I travel on my own, but I always ended up to meet wonderful people.

So I wouldn't be surprised if such things happen to you.

Also, during a train journey you can easily meet other travellers. I somehow managed to start talking with a German couple at the train station in hanoi - and we ended up sharing the same compartment and stayed together for trekking in Sapa. So don't be shy starting a conversation with fellow travellers anywhere. Especially other solo travellers are always keen to have a chat. And if you keep your itienrary a little flexible, you might even meet other traveller who want to do something similar.

I am sure you will have a great time in Sri Lanka.

7. Re: first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:37 am, March 27, 2018

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,426 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?

@poster 7. I note you have joined TA today and have necro posted over several forums to advertise this company.

This is s breach of TA guidelines, and your posts and account may be closed by the TA moderators. Please read the TA posting guidelines at the top of this page.

Reply to: first solo trip, advice on meeting travelers in Sri Lanka?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted