We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen

Worksop, United...
1 post
Save Topic
what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen

Senior citizen flying alone to Australia first alone What is practical to wear

8 replies to this topic
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,882 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen

I like stretchy trousers or a long skirt so I can curl up without worrying about decency. Travel socks are a good idea although my favourite ones don't have feet. I wear fit flop sandals almost all the time and socks with feet don't work. although bringing sock for when you are in your seat to keep your feet warm is a good idea.

If you wear shoes, make sure the are adjustable as your feet will swell and may not fit in your shoes when you land.

On top, a t-shirt long or short sleeved depending on the time arriving and the weather expected. Patterned tops are less likely to be ruined is something spills on them but a dark colour will do.

Sometimes I bring another t-shirt in my undersaat bag to change into towards the end of the long flight.

I have a light quilted travel jacket I wear on the plane even when going places too warm to need it as planes can be chilly, and of course getting to the aeroport in the UK can require a jacket.

If the destination is warm, the jacket scrunches up small enough to be squeezed into my carry on while wait in the immigration queue.

I bring a Kindle (actually I rarely leave my flat without my Kindle and anyway, an ipad is both harder on the eyes and has a much shorter battery life), an empty plastic bottle to fill with water in the departure lounge, and for very long flights, a discman with some short stories on cds (an mp3 played would be a more modern way of doing this and I do bring one for my music)

The key is to be comfortable without looking like a dag.

Edited: 7:26 am, October 22, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,129 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen

I will continue with the assumption you are female and recommend a comfortable bra. Avoiding an underwire may also mean less chance of body scans or a more intimate pat down. Compression socks won't be as comfy a footwear, but you may appreciate them when you arrive with normal feet size rather that rugby ball feet....also reduces risk of deep vein thrombosis.

I also always travel with a pashmina or outerwear shawl. This can work as a blanket layer, roll into a lumber pillow, regular pillow, many comfortable uses.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,052 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen

Hi Annma, welcome to the forums. You will find a lot of seniors travelling this route to meet relatives.

I used to wear jeans, (I had to travel across country in winter) comfortable ones. These days you can get lightweight walking trousers that are generous cut but can be warm or cool at the same time yet look reasonably tidy. They would be good.

On my feet I'd wear slip on sandals. Your feet tend to swell on long flights so I could slip my feet out, in to go to the loo and they still fitted when it was time to go.

I guess the nice walking sandals with velcro adjustments would be a good bet now.

A fleece jacket, it doubled to support my back if necessary, a bigger pillow, extra blanket and didn't crease for getting off the other end.

I also used to pack sweets, fruit & nuts) puzzles, paperback, Mp3 with music, podcasts and plays. Lots of entertainment. Although there is sometimes stuff on seat backs depending on carrier these may or may not be working so I make sure I have stuff I enjoy to pass the time. Never used much of it but comforting to know it's available.

Being comfortable is important on long haul. Having everything packed so you can access it easily also so I always take a bag that will go under seat so that I can get at anything without having to disturb fellow passengers expecially those that take a sleeping pill lol.

Knitting or needle work I saw people doing. Always wise to check the regulations on needles and things. I see it's loosened up recently.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,730 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen

I stopped wearing my bra on long haul flights years ago and it was wonderful!.

Sometimes I tuck one into my carryon- to change into when I arrive. Comfy pants are the key and I always take a shawl that serves many purposes.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,059 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen

Loose, breathable fabrics, nothing too constricting, and a shawl or pashmina in case you get chilly.

Thank you.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen

We are heading into summer so I would recommend t-shirt, a light jacket and 3/4 pants or short. Sydney will have a few more cold days this year so I would have one thick and one thin jumper. Keeping in mind Sydney usually has a 36-40 degree day in January and February. Melbourne, Tasmania and Adelaide. Are always colder the the rest of Australia I would pick out a nice pair of jeans or trackies.as well as some nice boots or jogers. North of Australia (cains, Darwin and Brisbane) can get very hot and humid. Expect 38 degrees in January. Would recommend thin clothing and sandals.

No matter where you are in Australia you must wear 30+ sunscreen. There is a hole in the o-zone layer just above Australia. You can get burnt just by thinking about it.

If you want to know anything else just message. Don't stress if you don't bring enough clothes shopping malls are everywhere and for cheap clothing to stay on budget would recommend k-mart, lowes (male), millers (female) and kaities (female). They are everywhere and their clothing is for senior citizens.

Hope you enjoy yourself and Australia.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen

Airplane lavatories are cramped and not always as clean as one would like so choose clothes that won’t be getting in your way or dragging on the floor.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,529 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen

Good old M&S sell smart looking elasticated waist trousers that are "flat, not gathered waist" in various styles (ie wide leg, bootleg, narrow, skinny) and lengths. Stretchy material too - perfect!

Reply to: what to wear on long haul to Australia Now senior citiizen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted