We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

Bucharest
Level Contributor
21 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

Hi,

I hope some of you could recommend me a resort/hotel suitable for solo/single traveler. I am traveling a lot, last summer stayed in very nice hotels but 99% of guests were couples. I really dont want to feel funny and being alone for New Year. I hope that in this big world there are some resort or hotel suitable for solos- anywhere in the world excerpt Africa.

I was reading some posts but didnt find what Iam looking for. Recommending a country or a city is not what I need. Helpful would be to get names of resorts and hotels. I dont have budget limitation. Age range 35-55 yo.

I think that such info will help many other people (men and women) who are in the same situation like me, now.

Thank you in advance.

M

11 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

Maybe a site like this will help you. https:/…

NYE is traditionally a couples event so if you thought summer time was lots of couples, NYE will even be more so,

Bucharest
Level Contributor
21 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

Thank you for your reply. Of course NYE is even more taught for solo people.

Unfortunately this kind of websites, like the one recomended, gives details about destinations like countries or cities, which does not help in my case.

Resorts and hotels designated to solo or singles is what Iam looking for.

I still hope that some other people who traveled before in such places will be kind to recomend.

best

M

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,018 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

We are from around the globe and many of us don't care about what people think about us traveling alone. Some of us can start up conversations in lineups and end up having dinner together. Others avoid trying to meet others at all. So my point is that asking for some specific resort or hotel is not realistic. From the article, you can consider a country or city that might interest you, then post on that destination specific forum for suggestions of possible resorts or hotels. However, as pointed out, these are bound to be filled with couples celebrating New Years.

Perhaps you can look further at the website linked as I know she lists solo travel groups. Maybe there is a group that you can join that fits your needs.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

You will get much more advice from a Destination forum, But this of course would require you to at least make some decisions. Perhaps select 3 countries and then post on each forum. An alternative would be to go to a full service travel agent. These professionals have a tremendous amount of info available.

Conshohocken...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

Hello

If you'd like to enjoy a solo trip over New Year's, Norwegian Cruise Lines has a cruise leaving out of

Miami, Florida USA to the Western Caribbean on Dec. 31st. It's a 7-days cruise.

The Norwegian Cruise Line has special accommodation rates for solo travelers. I have traveled solo

on this cruise line, it is very nice. They have a solo travel coordinator and a special lounge for solo travelers

to meet. But it's not limited that way. One can still access the entire ship of course. It's just that for solo

travel, they have nice accommodations. The name of the ship going on this holiday cruise is the Norwegian

'Getaway' and is one of a half dozen of the cruise line's ships outfitted to include special accommodations to

ensure comfort organized socializing venues and accommodations options for the solo traveler without paying the single supplement penalty for a private stateroom.

Bucharest
Level Contributor
21 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

Thank you hkendal95

This is a great tip. I will start searching for the Norvegian as it may be a great option. I hope they still have available cabins.

Thank you again,

M

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

https://www.clubmed.co.uk/r/Turquoise/y

This Club Med resort on Grace Bay, Turks & Caicos gets good reviews from singles. It is adults only and has a really lovely setting. (I have stayed near the resort but not in it) The resort is not limited to solos but as far as I can tell, doesn't have a lot of romantic couples, but mainly solos and groups of friends.

You would need to check whether Grace Bay on Provindeciales, T & C was affected by any of the hurricanes this Autumn.

I rather suspect that any of the adults only Club Meds would have a similar demographic.

Byblos, Lebanon
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

Hey iam traveling solo for this christmas and new year as usual.i am going to helsinki tallin riga vilnius the best way to spend a nye solo is to be in the street celebrating it with lot of other people if u want to avoid discos and nightclubs.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

welcome,

when it comes to solo travel, sometimes you have to take the bad with the good. That means being SOLO for certain things. If youre lucky, you can meet someone to pass the time.

I have not traveled for the holidays, yet. Its something I'm considering, but i still have family alive and well and thats when we all meet up. so for now, its on the back burner.

good luck.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler

I'm not quite sure why you ruled out Africa but perhaps you might consider Zanzibar, off the Tanzanian coast.

The weather in December/January should be wonderful (average 27 degrees) and the island, although developed, is still very beautiful.

Zanzibar was owned by the Sultan of Oman and is a fascinating blend of African and Arabian. Zanzibar is 99% Muslim so while bikinis are fine on the resort beaches, loose clothes covering chest, upper arms and legs to the knees are more appropriate in towns.

I really like Stonetown (the Zanzibar Coffee House has very reasonable rates and serves a delicious breakfast in a roof top setting) but for a friendly resort with a beautiful setting and a range of guests, Unguja Lodge certainly qualifies. The villas are fabulous. the beach is pretty and the visiting monkeys put on an acrobatic show in the garden villas at tea time. The food is reasonable although not foodie standard.

Before dinner the guests gather at the open air bar and IME, chat is easy and English is the common language. After the first evening I never ate dinner alone.

I'm not sure how many of the guests come in couples, because people were so friendly and open to talking to everyone.

http://www.ungujalodge.com/

Edited: 3:17 am, October 22, 2017
Reply to: Please need recommendations for New Year trip/ solo traveler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted