We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

San Francisco...
2 posts
Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

32 year old single woman from San Francisco wants to do some solo traveling during the Thanksgiving weekend ( 4 days). This would be my second solo travel after Iceland where I did a road trip. I am not big on drinking nor am I a foodie. I love nature and enjoy sightseeing, adventure sports like snorkeling, scuba diving, sky diving, river rafting etc. I was looking up Cancun but read the travel advisory which has me worried. Being safe is definitely by first priority. Also since I only have 4 days for vacation, I don't want to travel too far (read Europe etc). I could do the Caribbean but given the current hurricane situation, I wouldn't want to take the risk of getting caught in one.

Nicaragua did catch my eye but am still debating and wondering if I could get some suggestions from my fellow trip advisers.

I spent a ton of money on the Iceland trip (very expensive country) so I don't want to go overboard and keep a check on my expenses this time.

I am open to travelling in groups (tour packages etc) which will make me feel safe.

Thanks in advance.

17 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,231 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

First off, hurricane season ends traditionally Nov 1, so unless you are talking Canadian Thanksgiving, you can consider Caribbean. There are also islands that are not in the hurricane belt, but a little far...being close to Venezuela coast. Cancun advisory is overrated, as far as the locals say. If you are only on a resort or with group outings, little reason to think you migt be in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, resorts also mean single supplements though it isn't quite high season yet, so you migt be able to negotiate a deal. Cozumel might be an option, or Tulum. Read the destination specific forums for current cartel action. Seems more incidents around Playa del Carmen.

Also, as a new member, though you might write on TripAdvisor dot com, it is read on .ca, .uk, etc. It therefore helps to be specific on dates, location and currency. Thank you for mentioning you are lesving from San Francisco.

Puerto Aventuras...
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

Try Puerto Aventuras, a gated community about an hour south of Cancun. Pretty safe and beautiful. And you have options... condos to rent, B&Bs, hotels and all-inclusives. It is in the center of the Riviera Maya so you can get to Akumal and Tulum very easily if you don't want to hang out in Playa del Carmen.

Hope this helps

Donna

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

You might try some big cities like Wash DC or Chicago as hotel prices are generally dirt cheap at that time.

Flight prices might be trickier getting.

Orange County...
13 posts
4. Re: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

Hey there! I used to live out on the east bay in the SF bay area years ago and loved it there. I'm not in SoCal though... slightly less expensive and warmer.

I took a solo thanksgiving trip to Jamaica a few years ago and had a good time. The weather is usually nice and calm at the end of November. I went to Negril which was great and felt safe enough, but there are many folks on the beach that will try to sell you something, so that can be a hassle. I've heard great things about Ocho Rios which is another nice and beautiful, more hassle-free part of the Island. Thinking of going there myself on my next Jamaica trip.

Costa Rica is another good destination. I'm trying to go there for my 40th birthday in December but it's during high season and all the prime locations seem to be booked up or crazy expensive. Thanksgiving may be better though.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
5. Re: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

Or consider the west coast of Mexico -- Yelapa, Todos Santos, La Paz. Or even Ensenada -- drive down from San Diego and go horseback riding and wine tasting.

Or hiking in Northern Arizona/Utah.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

lisarimi, I'm not sure of the exact dates but the Baja Ha Ha is a sail boat festival put on by Latitude 38 magazine out of San Francisco in November. This is the magazine's 40th year so it the party might be bigger than normal. I know some people from the Bay Area who keep a boat in La Paz and they consider this a don't miss event every year. I do know the party hits Cabo but I'm not sure what other cities. I'm sure the magazine's website would offer details. I've done La Paz and Todos Santos and they're inexpensive and I think relatively safe. A lot of semi-expats from the west coast, including Canada keep boats there. Even if you're not into sailing it might be fun to see.

L J
Maryland, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
7. Re: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

OP lisarimi, thanks for posting this!

I'm looking for something similar, but I'm on the US east coast. I like exploring new places, dancing, museums, art/culture and *am* a foodie--I don't really drink, but I'm cool with other who do drink within moderation. I would love for anyone to please list any ideas for reasonably priced 4-10 days (including weekends) getaways.

Edited: 12:46 pm, October 05, 2017
1 post
8. Re: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

Me too! I need to get away and although I am not single it feels like it during the holidays - I do enjoy a cocktail and dancing - I am also on the east coast but flexible on traveling - I always get stumped when trying to figure a good place to go and be me. Suggestions are welcomed!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

For all of you looking for short trips from a base in the USA, it might be worth buying or borrowing from the library a copy of the Lonely Planet Guide for the US (and or Canada/Mexico). It could be full of places you hadn't thought of going or wanted/needed to know more about as a tourist destination.

Lonely Planet isn't just for students and backpackers. (they certainly mention hotels and restaurants out of my budget) I haven't been either a student for years and never was a backpacker but the LP guides are still my starting place for trips.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
302 reviews
10. Re: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017

Hello lisarimi,

Lots of good ideas so far. I was going to suggest Costa Rica also, along the Pacific Coast is a town called Tamarindo. You can fly into Liberia and transfer there.

I wouldn't recommend Cancun, but further south - the Tulum area or Isla Mujuras. This is of course for beach vacation.

You could head up to Canada, and do a great 4 days vacation to a city like Montreal or Vancouver too!

Hope that helps!

Reply to: Single Woman - Travel ideas for Thanksgiving weekend 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted