We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel on Christmas in the EU

new york, ny
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Solo travel on Christmas in the EU

Hello. I am temporarily living in London and am thinking of traveling somewhere in the EU over the Christmas holiday break as I'll have 4 days to use. My only concern is that things will shut down on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, which is half the time I have to spend somewhere. Are there any cities where everything (including restaurants) will not completely close?

4 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,030 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel on Christmas in the EU

As Turkey never made it into the EU, chances are you will run into the same problems everywhere. You might want to ask on the Germany forum whether the Christmas markets still run Christmas Day.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,101 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel on Christmas in the EU

I believe that London (well, the UK really) is the exception in Europe when it comes to most things being shut. As I understand it, other major cities have far more going on, and they have public transport, too, albeit at a reduced schedule.

Post in the forums for the cities that you are thinking of visiting, and then you should find out exactly what the local situation is like.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,617 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel on Christmas in the EU

Southern Spain is mostly ok especially the tourist areas.

You need to get something booked quickly. It's a popular and expensive time of year to travel and stay and with the poor weather in the Uk this Aug/Sept more places booked than usual.

Byblos, Lebanon
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel on Christmas in the EU

Tallin estonia :))

Reply to: Solo travel on Christmas in the EU
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted