We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

I've spent the last couple weeks fantasizing about getting away this winter. I'm finishing a huge work project and I'd love to relax and refresh when it's done. I also really love the idea of avoiding the hustle and bustle of Christmas (though I know these dates will make travel more expensive, and I can be flexible.) My budget is somewhat flexible, but not huge. ($2,000-$3,000 would be ideal.)

I'd love to go somewhere that's really beautiful, with easy access to a beach, or right on the beach, but also with options for sightseeing and other activities. I'd love to explore nature - from sea life to jungles, or whatever is available.

I'll be traveling from Portland, Oregon, and I'd like to spend about a week on the trip.

I've traveled a fair amount, but never alone. So I'd like somewhere that feels safe, but also that isn't full of screaming children or all romantic honeymoons.

Beyond that, I feel really flexible on what part of the world.

I'd love your thoughts and advice! Thanks!

17 replies to this topic
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

Well I'm going to Haiti for Christmas, but I don't think that fully fits your request! Though I will be lazing on a beach and exploring beautiful outdoor areas, not really an easy first solo place.

You have direct flights to Puerto Vallarta and Hawaii, both easy solo trips, and if you plan your lodging right, should be able to avoid kids. Another Mexico option, if you're up for renting a car, is around Cabo (not Cabo itself!) - La Paz, Cabo Pulmo, Todos Santos.

Barbados is a really fun and friendly island with great December weather that didn't get hit by hurricane damage.

I would start looking at flights and see what's doable, time and money-wise. That's generally how I pick!

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

Thank you for the suggestions!

I've actually been to Haiti three times, but never solo. Spent most of my time in Jacmel. It's a breathtaking place.

I was curious to go to the Dominican Republic to see how different it is, but not sure that's right for this time.

I hope you have a great trip.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

Thank you! I do plan to see Jacmel and Bassin Bleu!

From what I understand, Dominican Republic is heavy on big all-inclusives, but there are still less crowded areas to explore, including jungles.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

Hawaii.

May not be the best weather, but it will be better than pdx.

You can check the indival boards for what areas to stay for solo travelers.

Edited: 6:29 pm, September 27, 2017
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

We spent Christmas Day on the north shore of Oahu several years ago, watching surfers. It was great.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,214 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

Look at Vietnam...I don't think it's become too popular yet, but plenty to do.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,809 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

Costa Rica?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,146 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

Southern Spain is warm enough. Lovely low key Christmas and the Spanish children are beautifully behaved.

Medford
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

I saw someone above mention Puerto Vallarta. I have been there twice in recent years, and stayed at the Westin at the Marina. I don't know how Christmas would be, but January has been very relaxing and not crowded. It does have a separate pool area for youngsters, and another for adults. I would consider it a safe place to travel alone.

I'm thinking of going myself sometime this fall or winter, but I'm not sure yet.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach

Belize is geographically Central America but culturally Caribbean. It was an English colony so the main language is English. Belize City is not safe but local flights go out directly from the International Airport to other places like

Ambergris Caye or Dangriga.

I love the Xanadu Island Resort on Ambergris Caye but there are many others on Ambergris Caye or Placencia (which has better beaches but fewer places to go outside the resorts.

https://www.xanaduislandresort.com/

It is also possible to combine a beach holiday with a rainforest lodge.

Even if you were staying at a resort on Amebrgris Caye, there are day trips to the rainforest as well as for diving or snorkelling. IME, people are often friendly on the day trips.

Reply to: Solo female traveler, skipping Christmas on a beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted