We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Australia alone

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Travelling Australia alone

Hi,

I have the month of November off and was hoping to travel around Australia! I am 20 and was wondering if this would be safe to do? Also, are there any tours, e.g. east coast tours, hostels, things i must do that anyone could maybe recommend please? Thanks in advance!

8 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,737 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Travelling Australia alone

I travelled Aus alone and I am a fat brunette (female) and I was OK (but I was 26 then)

I was there 9 months and still did not see everything, but I did see all the things I wanted, worked as well in my own Profession (which was amazing!) and saw some other special stuff that I had not heard of, but found out about along the way. I had the best time ever!

1 month is not much time for Oz, which is massive compared to our little island, but it is still a decent amount of time compared to what some people are able to expend.

There are loads of hostels and backpacker places and tours and 'stuff'. Oz is great for travellers.

What YOU must do is what YOU WANT to do. Why are you going there? What have you heard of that you want to see/experience.

The other thing you must do is post on the TA Australia Forum - but you will surely engender some "broad Aussie humour" if you are not a little bit more specific

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,423 posts
111 reviews
2. Re: Travelling Australia alone

I've been to Australia several times on my own. It's very easy to organise with the internet.

My advice would be to limit youself with only 4 weeks to explore a couple of areas. Public transport is great and easy. The weather makes it a much better deal than here and it's a much wider service.

It's as safe as the Uk. No problem travelling alone but the usual rules apply. Know the places you are in and the areas that you should avoid. Be careful with bags and purses especially when in crowded tourist spots.

Know about the sea, there is a sticky pinned to the top of the Oz Forum. You can get sucked in just from paddling on the edse in some places.

They have the same sort of Tourist Information Centres that we have. You can pick up leaflets for local tours and maps and so on. They will answer any questions you have too.

November is heading for summer and hot and running up to the high season so check your prices accordingly.

If you want to do a search of this forum using the little box above your post and just put in Australia. Loads of informaiton will come up to keep you busy and give ideas.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,294 posts
1 review
3. Re: Travelling Australia alone

I havent been there , yet.

But i would get some travel books and readup what australia has to offer you. There is also here and googling.

As far as tours go you wont find many here since its a solo board.

However if you have fears and if a tour(s) will get you out of your comfort zone then i say its better than staying at home. Maybe once you get a few trips behind you, you will get more confidence to do a "solo" trip.

Good luck

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Travelling Australia alone

Australia is a great place to visit, in WA as we are a very large state its quite a distance between places. Meaning the country areas. Having said that there are plenty of buses and trains, and tours.Or you could hire a car. Might be a bit expensive .No tipping. Summer is very hot , spring (lovely) can be blowy. Autumn is much calmer.

North west best in winter (dry season).May June July Aug. Wet season can be very humid but good rain and thunder storms.cyclone season Nov. to March.

5. Re: Travelling Australia alone

Be very careful in remote areas

What I would do is join the YHA in Australia there you will meet many others travelling alone in your own age group.

Breakfast and evening meals can be fun you may be shareing you meal with people from

China Germany and Sweden...Norway and Greece....Canada and Chilie

You can share information where you are going.

Always use Commonsense and be guided by your " gut reaction "

Contact YHA in your state

Ie Youth Hostel Association in your State

Because they have a good YHA at Thredbo I took out life Membership because I like to Snow Ski.

My favourite Country overseas was Norway but it is Very Expensive.

I have been planning to go to Lord Howe Island for sometime...they do not have a YHA there but if you love the outdoors it's a great destination off NSW ( it is part of NSW so you don't need a passport )

Lonely Planet Books can be useful for destination information

also....

Just be careful while there are many nice people out there....

There are also bad evil people

Allan

Edited: 7:58 pm, September 12, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
101 reviews
6. Re: Travelling Australia alone

Australia is a large country and the weather reflects that. I would read up more and decide on what interests you. There is tons to do and see. And as already stated the Visitor Centres even in remote areas are great.

You would have to decide on what your interests are and narrow down to the areas that can accommodate it. The YHAs are excellent and you can meet many people from other countries staying there who can give you suggestions on how to get around.

Head over to the Australia forum and read up on many of the posts on there. The FAQs can help you too.

Lots of reading for you to do. Good luck.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,240 posts
189 reviews
7. Re: Travelling Australia alone

Just note the OP posted a year ago and never returned. And then the thread was awakened by a necroposter at #5.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
101 reviews
8. Re: Travelling Australia alone

Oops, missed that bk_t1. Let’s hope she had a great time!

Edited: 8:31 am, September 16, 2018
Reply to: Travelling Australia alone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted