We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

Barrie, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

hi all, I am here to ask for help on a decision I've just made, I am literally a workaholic and can never seem to say no to working so I need a vacation extremely bad as I think its only way to not work, fly away from my tools for a week, i am certainly not well off but saved a few bucks lately and in need of sun, ocean, and beach.. thing is I've never ever done a vacation by myself.. ive asked some friends to come but no one is able so looks like I will have to go somewhere just me.. anyone out there have any ideas on where to go and hopefully not feel uncomfortable doing so, but without spending a fortune? i've researched and looked into a lot but well over 1300 bucks and thats about my max.. any ideas.. possibilities, opinions on this matter please send me some advice.. i am set with work now to be able to fly out of Toronto any day between jan 28th and latest feb 4 and I need this .. please help with ideas if you can..im running out of time fast.. thanks in advance..

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

Hi Jason and welcome to TripAdvisor. It is a challenge for some to decide to take a work break solo and not feel like a odd duck. One challenge is people feel they need an all inclusive resort to do this but that often comes with a single supplement - thus driving 'deals' out of your budget. A short time frame may also limit research time - BUT - the fact you can readily YYZ makes it easier for you to book something last minute.

Recently I was seeing last minute AI trips for affordable prices for solo travelers, so review WestJet, Expedia, Air Canada, Transat and SunWing for last minute deals.

Though you may not want to be surrounded by kids, you may find it easier to be a solo traveler if you are not at an 'Adult Only' resort. These are drawing couples which you may find isolating. Resorts that allow children seem to include various generations and one person wandering around doesn't matter.

Granted, I am speaking from limited direct experience. My only resort visits are to time share exchanges with kitchens, so I am just self sufficient. I also often go off resort to enjoy the nature or snorkeling in the area. These accommodations are also available as short lets, but I think a lot will be booked by this time. You could review flights to say Cancun and see what AirBnB or VRBO offers for Cancun, Isla Mujeres or Playa del Carmen. I think, however, given your explanation, an easy AI might suit you best.

Solo travel is also a mindset. Hopefully, you are used to being alone and entertaining yourself with hobbies, or reading or at the least; enjoying your own company. This can happen anywhere and being on your own at a beach does not mean you are walking around with everyone looking at you as if you have a second head. They don't care. Yes, meals can feel awkward, and I don't know what kind of alternative eating venues are available at an AI, but there much be ways you can mix things up.

Also, as a new TripAdvisor user, know that a lot of resorts are posted in the review section of each destination and reviews can be sorted by 'solo traveler'. So, if you find a good deal to Cancun or Veradero (Cuba), google 'tripadvisor XXXX, Cancun review' and it should pop up. Then sort by 'solo'. This will give you an idea of how solo friendly it is.

Or, if you are a member of CAA, they have an online search engine for vacations as well as travel agents. They may be able to recommend something - though perhaps not at the last minute savings of some other sites. They could at least do the legwork for you.

Good luck.

Barrie, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

hi and thanks so much, I have been attempting online searching, selloff and sunwing and few others.. its difficult as I do honestly work way to much lol and am not the greatest at computers, plumbing yes, computers I m a bit behind lol.. by last minute if i may ask, would that mean like a day prior 3 days a week?? im right at that cusp and seems when i click last minute the dates have been like apr, june, nov.. which i didnt understand either.. I am hoping just to up and fly the 28th but I have the flexibility of the whole week they way i booked off with work. and the regualr resort idea i do like as well thanks.. makes sense.. grr I didnt realise all this would be difficult, most likely just fo rme but anyways.. thanks so much again..

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

Plumbing is a good skill, but maybe you need to get a neighbour kid to book your travels. haha

So, here is an option. I am not a fan of Flight Centre, but they are both online and in malls. I did a quick search and flightcentre(dot)ca search engine allows you to choose a VACATION, from Toronto to (here you have to choose a place - I chose Dominican Republic). Put in Jan 28 and then from the drop down menu, how many days you want to be away. Click Search. It lists options for that date and gives alternative dates and prices by ratings for the resort.

My recommendation is to get the best star rating you can afford, because that 'might' improve the food choices.

The list is by country, so you need to go to Mexico - Cancun, or just choose Cuba, or Dominican Republic as they are small enough to not make much travel time difference.

Or call the phone number and ask them to do the work for you, choose some options, and then get back to you by email or phone. Remember that many of these online companies also have phone alternatives and as they know their business, they may be able to do it better for you.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

id be looking at where you can go for that 1300 buck (CAD?).

if that included flights and hotel, then you may not be able to go that far.

If Barrie CA is on the east coast or nearby, you maybe stuck to areas on the east coast and south. Im dont see anyplace warmer up north unless you want to go up and over and then down again.

a comment, some people "live to work" and some people "work to live". i guess you know where you are pegged.

If you dont want to do the work on researching see what a travel agent can do if you can find one.

good luck.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
580 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

I googled "resorts with no single supplement" and found that several suppliers have solo travel deals. As an example here is one from Transat: <https://www.transat.com/en-CA/experiences/singles-vacations?search=package&origin=YYZ&dest=HotelGroup-14&date=2017-01-31&duration=6-8>

Copy and past the link in the address bar. If it doesn't work just google "Transat solo collection". Good luck to you. I am in the process of the doing the same thing.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

RC, actually, there are numerous options right now for flights and AIs single person - for that cost from Toronto (as he requests). I am surprised too....Cuba, Dominican Republic, Cancun is pushing it.

Edited: 1:12 pm, January 19, 2017
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

@ quilt,

great. Im not going to do the work for someone else. if you or others want to do that, its your time to do as you please.

sometimes I'm surprised at how inexpensive some flights are and on the flip side, I'm surprised at how they aren't.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,024 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

Finding the offers, accommodation types etc takes time and experience to learn.

Go to a travel agent first and say you have $1000 (yes less) and give them a set of locations that appeal and see what they can offer.

Yes, I'm new to the travel agent thing and find that last minute can mean 8-12 weeks though there are last minute deals through their sites online which is another place to look. If you find something but are unsure you can go into the shop to ask about it.

I agree with Quiltingmamma that the 'adults only' which I thought would be good was more isolating (I'm new to the hotels game) - most of them were downright antisocial or apathetic tho not all and I was begging for families to liven it up a bit. But I was going by budget and getting the cheapest price which was fine because I want to explore. When I realised it wasn't for me I went round the area while I was there and did some looking into other accommodation options and transfers from the airport.

It's a good way to start though. And it does sound as though you need a quick result or you will chicken out. If you find it suits or doesn't at least that is a start to understanding what you would like. You could then start finding out how to get what you want as an evening hobby.

9. Re: need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:57 am, January 24, 2017
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need ideas on booking and taking a vacation by myself. :(

I think a travel agent is the way to go too. Not because you don't want to do the work, but it is difficult to navigate some of these sites. A travel agent is relatively cheap, and can find great deals! Also consider what you want to get out of this trip. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of opportunities to travel; let alone relax. From the posts I've read Cuba doesn't sound relaxing, but if you are the adventurous, outgoing type, and aren't picky about food or accommodations, then Cuba is calling your name.