We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessible travel

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Accessible travel

My husband, who is my carer, and myself would like to travel on the Eurostar from London to Paris in early December 2016. Ideally we would like to do a scenic train trip from there, maybe even a round trip train that has accommodation( if something like that is possible). It could even be into neibouring countries. We want to see beautiful scenery but need ease of travel as I am in a wheelchair or mobility scooter.

Or find a non busy place as a base but it must have accessible travel options. My husband is not well himself so we do not want anything that becomes to stressful for him to manage. We do have a limited budget so can't afford private tours. Any advice please?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
110 reviews
1. Re: Accessible travel

there is a forum devoted to train travel -I suggest you try there

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Accessible travel

Thanks

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
21,863 posts
290 reviews
3. Re: Accessible travel

Greetings Lavender Carol,

We traveled via train London up the Coast to Edinburgh & then to the Lake District & then back to London....All in all, it went fairly well with walker & w.c., (had bases in Edinburgh & Lake Windemere). A suggestion... Make sure if you use a base you have all your ducks in a row, pick up at the train station & that the driver is physically capable of lifting the w.c. & assisting you if need be... Is your room & bath (en suite) actually Accessibly compliant ?

As suggested, I would also post on the TA Train Travel Forum, please click on link below.

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Travel.html

Kesh_grammy

London, England
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
75 reviews
4. Re: Accessible travel

The Eurostar offers substantial discounts for disabled people and their carers.

Throughout U.K. and Europe you can arrange assistance at stations.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Accessible travel

Thank you. I will check that link now. I have had a long term dream to do a trip on the Eurostar so that is why I thought it would be good to go somewhere nearby in France, but not touristy busy.

6. Re: Accessible travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 15, 2017
Get answers to your questions