We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled friendly resorts

Liverpool
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Disabled friendly resorts

My dad is looking to go away next year with his wife who is in a wheelchair. We have seen plenty of hotels with specially adapted rooms but we need to know what resorts are suitable for wheelchairs outside of the hotel. The main concern is disabled toilets.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Disabled friendly resorts

Can I suggest you include the sort of destination your folks have in mind? Sand and sea, lakes and mountain, city? Hot or warm? Busy or quiet?

Also, can your mum walk at all or is she totally dependent on the chair, as some abilityn to walk a few steps could male a huge difference.

I say/ask all this as someone who has toured parts of Japan and most of Rajasthan using a wheelchair and crutches

Liverpool
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Disabled friendly resorts

Not sure on destination as we don't know where is accessible. Have looked at Tenerife and Hurghada as I have read that these places might be disabled friendly outside of the hotel. They want sand and sea and she will be in the chair all of the time. She had a stroke which has left 1 side paralysed.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Disabled friendly resorts

I've listed this on our access forum, to increase your chances of recommendations

Liverpool
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Disabled friendly resorts

Thanks

Liverpool
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Disabled friendly resorts

Do you have a link to the access forum as I can't find it

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Disabled friendly resorts

www.facebook.com/groups/651478171544602/

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Disabled friendly resorts

Islantilla on the Costa de la Luz is very disabled friendly The hotel that we stayed in had access straight onto a long promanade which was flat for at least 2miles in either direction, at certain intervals along the prom you had access to the sandy beach via walkways and ramps, at these walkways there was disabled showers and toilets also lifeguards on duty all day.The hotel also had a chair which they loaned out to get you onto the beach,around the pool there was beds near the pool for the disabled and a chair to get you into the pool.

We have been to Tenerife twice now and stay at the same hotel and are going again in September see reviews for Sandos San Blas.

Have a look at Playa la Vista a beach between Playa De Las Americas and Los Cristianos which again has been adapted for the disabled the promanade there is approx 5k, very flat on the front but go inland and it can get hilly so chose your hotel with care. Tenerife also has wheelchair accessible taxis which make transfers easier.

For ideas have a look on Disabled access holdays web site and Enable holidays web site as these give info on the hotels and surroundings, they mark the hotels with a key system for accessibilty.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Disabled friendly resorts

Will have a look at Tenerife. I have a brochure from Enable Holidays, I can imagine them to be very expensive though.

Teesside
Level Contributor
377 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Disabled friendly resorts

Have a look at enable for ideas for hotels and then book with an ordinary travel company or book flights and hotel yourself. Tenerife is good ,I go to las Americas and I have very limited mobility .I use a wheelchair or a mobility scooter as long as you stay near the front its pretty flat. Have a look round it with google maps .

merseyside
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Disabled friendly resorts

Hi you mention Hurghada in Egypt I have travelled in and around here myself and have very limited mobility.

There are lots of pedestrianized areas there but the pavement heights are very high at 9 to 12 inches ,disabled facilities in the hotels are there ,but outside in the public areas is very limited especially suitable toilets Airport facilities are also limited .You would need to take your own wheelchair as trying to hire one is practically impossible ,People are very friendly and helpful but Egypt is not really geared up for the disabled. Hope this helps