We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my mobility scooter

hertfordshire
1 post
my mobility scooter

im allowed to take my scooter on the plain but the transfer coach refusing to take my scooter its going to cost me a further 116.00 for a taxi never had this happen befor have i any rights to the coach refusing this it supposed to be a new policy another thing against disabled people not fair

Inverness
Level Contributor
445 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: my mobility scooter

Where are you travelling and who with?

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: my mobility scooter

As a wheechair user myelf (capable of walking a very short distace on crutches, but not of climbing onto a bus) I'm divided over this one. First, why should a disabled person have to pay more for the transfer? But then, a transfer will mean a separate arrangement, a separate vehicle, possibly an adapted vehicle any and all of which will be more expensive - why should other holidaymakers subsidise my transfer (so we all pay the same, even though I cost more) or the travel company take a loss of time and money because they have to make and pay for special arrangements just for me? The standard price includes a coach transfer, I can't use it. I do not like to create a spectacle, so I'd much rather grab a taxi.

I don't know what the legal position is - cacaj has asked two key questions - but your rights will also be bound up with the coach driver's rights not to put his back out lifting your scooter, or his coach may simply be unequipped to take it (local conditions apply).

One final point - there is a difference between a wheelchair and a scooter - in my own mind, the former is essential, the latter is optional. If one uses a wheelchair as I have to, as a matter of necessity, that's one thing. If one uses a scooter because "it makes it easier to get around" then it's like paying for excess baggage - your choice, you pay.

Teesside
Level Contributor
377 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: my mobility scooter

I have the same problem like you John ,I use a wheelchair but can walk a little, but not enough to climb steps, so I just use taxis from airports.When I get to the resort I hire a scooter as I'm a large lady and hate my poor husband having to push me in my wheelchair so you see not all scooter are optional.

Granbury, tx.
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: my mobility scooter

Are there very many taxis at Heathrow-London. I have a scooter. W ill they take me wscooter?

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: my mobility scooter

There are usually so many cans at LHR thry have a holding area so the ranks do nt get totally clogged up!

As to taking a scooter, it depends on whether or not it will fit. The standard cab is designed to take a wheelchair the-london-taxi.com/london_taxi_accessibility and of course it has space for luggage, but scooters come in lots of shapes and sizes. As you can see from the pics, cabs are tall, but there's a lilmit onwhat will go up the ramp and through the door. Also what can be sa0fely fastened inside the cab if you need to travel in the scooter n board. It may be as simple as folding your scooter and putting it in with the luggage.

Can I suggest you tell us more - make and model of scooter - and maybe someone will know if that fits?

Granbury, tx.
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: my mobility scooter

2X3 1/2- 4 FT. Small, 90 LB., 3-wheel, Does the next size come in numbers also to the airport?

thanks!

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: my mobility scooter

What I referred to as the standard cab is the "London new-old" design they've had for years, and they're the majority. The bigger cabs are the \ercedes van-based models, which are bigger but I don;t know what proportion of drivers now use them. The cabs at LHR queue, so it might not be easy to select one against another. If your scooter can clear the ramp, it ought to be OK in either cab.

You did not say whether you have to ride the scooter into the cab, or whether you can climb in and the cab is folded and carried as baggage - that could make a big difference. Not least because you must wear a seatbelt and a wheelchair must also be restrained - not simply braked.

More expensive alternatove would be to book a transfer with an adapted vehicle.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
8. Re: my mobility scooter

Yoou may find this information if your are thinking of taking a bus whilst staying in London. It gives a list of mobility scooters that can be carried on the buses

www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/transportaccessibility/1171.aspx‎

Granbury, tx.
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: my mobility scooter

I have MS, can walk for awhile, climb steps and the scooter breaks down into 5 pieces. I think the taxis would rather take a regular passenger and not take time for loading. Do buses pickup people at AP? Sooo. I think I should hire an in dependent company. Know any ?

I don't need an adapted, just mi-ni van. I appreciate everyone's help.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: my mobility scooter

So long as the driver starts his meter he will not care how long it takes to help load your buggy - I've had several content to sit and chat while I sort myself out and get my crutches, then come round and hold the door and help me out, so you ought to be OK. I did a search and got this hit henryedward.co.uk/wheelchair-access-taxi-for… and www.wheelchair-travel.co.uk/index.shtml but I've used neither.