We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled access in Bangkok and Beijing

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
406 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled access in Bangkok and Beijing

I just returned from both cities and was very frustrated at the lack of access. I am ambulatory, but cannot walk long distances, can only go up a few steps with assistance or a handrail to hold on to and cannot climb ramps or stairs. I was unable to enter the Temple of the Recling Buddha in Bangkok because it had 4 high steps and no handrailing and I was alone without anyone to help me. I didn't even try the Temple of the Emerald Buddha or the Grand Palace because of that.

In Beijing I walked up a steep ramp to the landing, but was so out of breath when I got up to the top, I had to sit and rest for a half hour to get my breath. I had a young man for a guide that I hired outside the Forbidden City and he helped me up the ramp and then took me down the closest ramp to exit. Since it was clear that I was not going to be able to actually go into any of the areas, I then left. And, again, based on that experience, I didn't try the other sights such as the Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace, etc.

Based on my experience, I would suggest that anyone who has problems in this area please check out the issue of accessibility before planning a trip to avoid such frustrations. It is very aggravating to go so far and then not get to see the major sights due to health issues.

1. Re: Disabled access in Bangkok and Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:32 am, April 11, 2013