We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Holidays

Surbiton
5 posts
Save Topic
Summer Holidays

My partner and I are both 65 - the man in my life is just recovering from a hip replacement operation, neither of us drive. We have been to all the usual holiday spots and need inspiration for a holiday in July. Near a beach, hopefully with sun beds, anywhere abroad but not too expensive, does any one have any ideas of nice beaches, nice meals, not too demanding on the walking and loads of sunshine.

We need help. Suggestions please.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Holidays

I spent a very relaxing week with my 71yr old mother at Makidi bay on the red sea four years ago, maybe this is an area you could look into.

A lot of hotels seem to lead directly onto their own private beach, I loved it and so did mam.

It depends on what you want to do with your time whilst you are on holiday. If you simply want to relax within your hotel that has a beautifull beach a few mins walk away then I would recomend this place, if you wanted to do more with your time then it is maybe not the place for you. Sharm-el-sheik has more of a choice outside the hotels I believe.

If you do choose to go here then I would not worry about not driving, taxi's are inexpencive and you will be well looked after .

Meals were so-so for us as they seemed to cater for the many Russians that were there at the time- but we are not big on food-if you like sweet food though then the Egyptians really know how to do that!

I could go on and on and on as we had such a brilliant holiday, as I have said, it depends on what you want from your holiday.

A ps about the weather, it is very hot but as it is quite a dry "hot" it is also quite a comfortable "hot".

Wherever you choose to go I hope you have a wonderfull time.

Also I believe there are some good deals around as people are worried about the unrest in Egypt, nothing to worry about at all. Take advantage of the low prices I say.

Linda. x

Edited: 7:53 pm, June 02, 2011
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Holidays

Although Turkey does not have infrastructure that accommodates disabled people, I am sure your significant other will not be in a wheelchair. If you can walk, regardless of how slowly you walk or how frequently you need to rest, I would recommend southern Turkey. You can find a hotel in Antalya, Cirali, Kas, Bodrum or any number of small villages with good access to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

I had my right hip replaced the second week of October and went to Turkey the first week of November. I was a little slow on the cobblestones for the first few days, but it was not particularly bad. Rehab from a hip is much easier than rehab from a knee replacement.

Do try to obtain a hotel room on the bottom floor or select a hotel with a lift, as stairs can be difficult and often do not have hand rails.

3. Re: Summer Holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, October 04, 2012