We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi travel

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
taxi travel

i use taxis frequently to travel.(i cant drive)

out here in OZ,I get my taxis for half price,up to $60 worth of travel.

when I travel interstate,same applies,just have to take vouchers with me for travel along with my taxi directorate card.

How does taxi travel compare in other countries?

out of interest.

thanks

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
242 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi travel

Here in Europe taxi prices vary HUGELY in the UK you can find you pay £3-4 (US$4.5-9)just to get in the *** thing and mileage rates vary from city to city

Compare that to some areas of France where we go regularly where there are NO taxi's at all and you have to find one from another town and a 40 mile trip is around €150(US$205) each way

Then again in Gran Canaria (been recently ) a short trip of 2 miles is €3 (US$4)

Disconuted travel for elderly and disabled in the UK is via public transport or private cars supplied by grant aid

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,559 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi travel

Hi;

In the Greater Toronto Area a person with mobility issues or who is disabled, can apply to the city run services such as WheelTrans or TransHelp.

WheelTrans or TransHelp are specially designed accessible buses that are operated more like a taxi, but you MUST book them at least one day in advance. They can not be flagged down and are not available to the general public.

Best Regards

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi travel

HI lilyana,

As in the UK, taxi fares vary greatly from town to town in the US. Fares are regulated locally and the federal laws only prevent you from being charged more for taxi services. I am not really aware of any discounts from regular cab companies for disabled customers.

Depending on the city, you can wait h-o-u-r-s to get a lift-equipped van (if that is what you need) and there are plenty of scare stories of people being left stranded for hours until their lift cab arrives. Again, it varies greatly from city to city and company to company.

Of the folks that I know who use a wheelchair and travel, they mainly do it using their own vehicles. Arranging for taxi transport in your own city here, can be a pain - I can imagine what it could be like in a city you aren't familiar with.

-Noah

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi travel

hi one and all, seems we are spoilt out here in Oz!!

is it true in the UK,some disabled people are given a car by the government?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
242 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi travel

Yes

You have to "qualify" for certain disablement benefits (I don't ..grrrrr you must have the mobility part of the disability allowance to even get a blue badge parking privileges permit- but that's another thread)

Then you get a monthly allowance to use on the purchase of a "disability" car from allocated car dealers basically you rent the car with the government paying the vast majority of the cash for it and after 2 years you can keep it or swap it for a new one if you put money to it you can get any car you want even big 4x4's for towing a caravan

Also forgot some councils run a "dial a bus" scheme where they provide minibuses with wheelchair access but taxi's are cheaper and easier to get there are lots of taxi operators now who offer wheelchair access taxi's

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi travel

geez,thats fortunate re the car.

my uncle has bad health and was 'given' a car.

is it means tested?

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi travel

oops,just noticed it is means tested.

pity Australia doesnt come up with this one.im a British citizen living in OZ.

a car is certainly an expense we have struggled to afford.

8. Re: taxi travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:26 pm, August 10, 2009