We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deaf travelling

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
130 reviews
42 helpful votes
Deaf travelling

Do any readers have advice for me as a deaf traveller? It's hard buying tickets through a glass screen. And it's impossible to hear public announcements.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
25,895 posts
295 reviews
232 helpful votes
1. Re: Deaf travelling

May I suggest you contact your area Health / Social Services Office and request the Hearing Impaired / Deaf visor cards? I have a family member who travels with the cards & shows them when needs assistance.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
130 reviews
42 helpful votes
2. Re: Deaf travelling

I tried this where I live in Somerset and the council replied as follows;

"I am sorry that you continue to wait for a response regarding registration. One reason for this is that since the Care Act 2014 registration of hearing loss is no longer mandatory. BaNES Council has decided initially to maintain the register but as useful information can be obtained from other sources this may not continue.

What I would like to ask you is why do you wish to be registered? How do you feel this would benefit you? Any information you can provide would help us in considering this issue"

So I am stuck as our council are reluctant.

John

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,895 posts
295 reviews
232 helpful votes
3. Re: Deaf travelling

John...

I am sorry to read such a response...Option make your own cards & put the film over it so it can be reused / wiped clean... Now, I might also send that letter onto a few people that might have some thing to say in this matter.

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 8:13 am, August 28, 2017
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
130 reviews
42 helpful votes
4. Re: Deaf travelling

Thank you for your empathy. I try not to be disadvantaged but it quite a responsibility on fellow passengers (should they choose to accept it) to help me. Perhaps I shall write to my MP, Jacob Rees-Mogg. He appeared on TV recently conducting constituency surgeries and I was impressed by his caring attitude.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,895 posts
295 reviews
232 helpful votes
5. Re: Deaf travelling

John...

I understand completely... I know how difficult it is at times for my family member to get on.

Please let us know when the MP responds.

Kind Regards,

Kesh_grammy

6. Re: Deaf travelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:15 am, November 09, 2018
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
130 reviews
42 helpful votes
7. Re: Deaf travelling

Yes that's true. What is hard is when on the train there are announcements and in the evening when it's dark I can't see out of the window to find out where I am. There should be some way for the train guard to know there are deaf passengers - maybe a designated seat near th guard's compartment perhaps

8. Re: Deaf travelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:16 am, November 09, 2018
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
130 reviews
42 helpful votes
9. Re: Deaf travelling

Thank you

Here on Great Western trains the inter city carriages have displays but the problem comes with Guards announcements affecting my journey.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
15,412 posts
239 reviews
124 helpful votes
10. Re: Deaf travelling

My husband is deaf. Usually I'm with him and so there are few problems as I can "translate" but when I'm not he would need to ask people nearby to let him know of any important train announcements, stations etc. It might feel embarrassing but generally people are happy to help.

As to talking/listening through screens, explain you're deaf and ask if the screen can be removed so you can lip read more easily.