We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Word of Advice about Hotwire

Boston...
6 posts
Save Topic
Word of Advice about Hotwire

I used the "Secret Hot Rate" option with pretty good luck in the past, so I decided to try it again for my upcoming trip. If you do sufficient research on ratings, amenities, and regular room charges of certain hotels within a given area on this site and others, you can get a fairly good idea which hotels are likely offering the special rates on Hotwire.

And that's what I did in this case. I looked around for the lowest rates on reservation sites that do identify hotels upfront for those hotels I thought were offering a secret rate to see if any price differences were worth taking my chances on Hotwire. I decided to take my chances and guessed right.

I initially thought I paid around 15% less than the lowest rate offered elsewhere. However, I then noticed that the additional taxes and fees on Hotwire were about 50% higher than on the other site, which reduced my overall savings by nearly half.

So if you do try to narrow down the likely hotels offering a secret special rate on Hotwire, consider the rate as well as the additional taxes and fees to see if its worth it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,997 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Word of Advice about Hotwire

Some good booking advice.

In addition, many hotels get lazy about the descriptors they use, from their regular rates to their secret rates. This results in key sentences, which are used in both. So being able to reference this is an additional tool for detecting the hotel.

Another method of verification is by looking at the entire weeks rate patterns. Multiple nights of the same, followed by a change can be clearly seen on their regular listing also. The key is to see the pattern, not the rate

Edited: 1:46 pm, January 23, 2014
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,199 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Word of Advice about Hotwire

An easier way to see which hotels you may get on Hotwire(or Priceline) is to go to sites like www.betterbidding.com which have lists of the hotels and what you are likely to get in each category with the adjectives/descriptors listed at that star level.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Word of Advice about Hotwire

I've never found betterbidding.com to be that comprehensive, but I suppose it depends on the destination.

That is good information about the extra fees on Hotwire, but I'm not sure I would risk blind bidding for a 15% savings anyway.

4. Re: Word of Advice about Hotwire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 26, 2015
Get answers to your questions