We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geckos Adventures?

Wollongong...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Geckos Adventures?

My friend and I are looking to travel to Turkey for 1-2 weeks instead of going away for Schoolies. We have found a tour we like, 'Where the Ruins Meet the Sea' by Geckos Adventures and are now just looking for advise as to how good Gecko tours are?

Has anyone had much experience with them, or have any advice?

Much appreciated!

- C

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geckos Adventures?

Geckos are the' younger market' arm of Peregrine Adventures. Haven't used Geckos, but have done many trips with Peregrine - all very good.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Geckos Adventures?

I am also thinking of using Geckos Adventures for my next trip - has anyone travelled to India with them? Thoughts?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geckos Adventures?

Hello!

My response may come too late but here goes!

I'm 30, female, travel on group tours because my friends are losers at home & I don't want to travel alone. Haha jk

I have done 2 Geckos now (Sth East Asia & India the yr after).

The age group on average for the first trip was 25 with group size of 15-18.

The 2nd trip to India was on average 25 but parents of one girl came along & they were 50+! They were very young at heart tho! I called them Mum & Dad by the end o the trip!

From my understanding, Peregrine run a dearer "comfort" tour so they get adults who don't want to rough it (abit dearer). Gecko travellers are a tad younger & u get a Grassroots adventure. U don't go to top hotels (avg 3star) & u get to see off the beaten paths & not so typical touristy stuff! Sometimes u might travel by local transport or get into 4wds or jump on a camel?

Just on a side note, I've also just finished a Topdeck tour in the main parts of Europe which is for a similar age group. I found Topdeck's group size too big! (30-50ppl) it was quite touristy & u travel in a coach the whole time. There was a lot more drinking & unnecessary high school drama on Topdeck. Nothing like the family orientation u get on Geckos groups.

I would've liked to see Europe with Gecko but they said it just doesn't suit their business goals when aiming to offer a grassroots adventure.

India was fantastic. I did the Road to Kathmandu. You'll never see so many ppl, cars everywhere, cows, rubbish, no hot water, awesome food, awesome landscapes eg must do the flight around Everest & gotta love Taj Mahal!

Be prepared for Delhi belly!!! It is inevitable! Haha

Hope that helps!

Alberta
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geckos Adventures?

Again, another late response. My hubby and I traveled with Gecko Adventures through Turkey in April/May (Ottoman is not Just a Footstool). It was our first time traveling with Geckos as we usually travel with G Adventures.

There were 15 in the group, age ranging from late 20s to early 60. The older gentlemen were definitely young at heart and were a joy to be around.

Turkey was amazing, as was our group. Good times ended there. Our tour guide didn't actually guide. I really don't know what the benefit of having him was. We didn't learn anything about Turkey or the sites we were seeing. Most people in our group resorted to reading Lonely Planet to learn about the cities we were in. If our leader organized a group meal, it was always at a ridiculously expensive restaurant.

Accommodations were pensions or 2-star hotels, which were fine by me.

Going forward, we'll still with G Adventures or do it on our own.

Sydney
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Geckos Adventures?

Hi

Thanks for this info. My best friend am I are doing the road to Kathmandu tour in December as part of our Africa/ Middle East trip. We have travelled extensively before but always on tours like top deck, contiki and self travel.

Could you give me a bit of information on what the transport is like. Would a suitcase be ok to take or would a hiking pack be better? And also what are the trains like and what is the over night train like? Is this a sleeper cart or a seat? And is the normal train assigned seats? If not can you up grade the train tickets to a sleeper cart? Thanks heaps haven't been able to get much info?

Glad to hear the mean age is 25 suits perfect! :D

Cheers

Liz

Sydney
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Geckos Adventures?

Hi Nat

I would really like some advise if you don't mind, my bestfriend and me are doing the road to Kathmandu later this year with geckos. We have traveled through Europe extensively but it has been on tours like top deck or by ourselves.

Was wondering what you could tell us about the transport is it comfortable and the over night train is is in an ac sleeper?

Also any other helpful hints and tips or general info would be amazing!

Thanks so much

Liz

Regina, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Geckos Adventures?

Hi,

I wanted to chime in on this if any for future inquiries/readers. I travelled with Gecko through Africa - I went on two seperate tours totaling about three weeks. The tours themselves were amazing (Tanzania, Kenya, Ugand an Rwanda) - Africa is really hard to beat. However, like another person said earlier there were some issues with tour guides. The first tour our guide was great... She was good natured, tonnes of information and all around really great woman. The guide for the second tour (which unfortunately was the longer of two) was a bit of an adventure himself. He was nice but did not appear to know anything. I am thankful that our driver (formerly a tour guide but got sick of dealing with tourists) was with us because we were able to rely on him for information. Overall, I think that its just the chance you take when you go on a tour and with Geckos they hire people from the community which is the way that you want to go regardless of the risk.

My real issue with Geckos came after we were done the tour. My friend and I had planned to stay another week on our own in Rwanda and for simplicity sake, we had asked Gecko to extend our stay in the hotel (the one affiliated with Gecko) for that length of time. When we arrived and saw the actual rates for the hotel, we realized that Gecko had over charged us approx. $420.00. At first when I complained, they asked for proof and it just so happened that we had made a friend that could go over to the hotel to take a picture of the rates for us (Gecko tried to argue that the rates were per person which was not the case). When we provided proof, they were quick to tell us that they were pre-negotiated rates that factored in a lot of things other than just the room cost - this we were not told prior to booking the room outside of the tour. After repeated discussions with Geckos, I got nowhere. At the end of the day we each had spent approx. $7,000.00 ($14,000 total) and they coudn't even refund $420.00. I just caution anyone that goes with Gecko not to book any additional rooms through them outside of the tour. We could have stayed at a much nicer hotel (Hotel Des Milles Collines) for much less than what Gecko charged us for the hotel room in Kigali.

It's a shame because I was thoroughly disappointed with them after that experience.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Geckos Adventures?

Geckos are a very big dissapointment. Having just done an 18 day tour of Peru, I am very sad to say I would never return thanks mainly to Geckos. Be prepared to pay solidly for your initial tour, and keep paying. The deliberate lack of information Geckos provides about its tours disguises the fact that very little other than basic travel and 2 star hotels are actually included in your tour costs. Pretty much every thing else is an extra tour cost. An absolute rip off. Your better off organizing this yourself or going with a better company. Pay the extra up front and go with another tour company and enjoy your trip.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Geckos Adventures?

Booking Indonesia for February, just a week long so hopefully no problems! Mixed reviews I hear!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Geckos Adventures?

Hi Im on my third trip with Geckos I went to Africa Peru and now im going to Turkey in March for 18 days also they are a great company to deal with ive had no trouble with them very friendly and experience and the people that travel geckos are fun loving and friendly I would go with them all the time cheers helen

Get answers to your questions