We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Additional driver on rental car

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,842 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Additional driver on rental car

The question of additional drivers of rental cars came up on the Tampa forum and I wanted to see what the people here think about it. What can the car rental company do if you don't disclose and pay for additional drivers?

My opinion is the only issue is insurance coverage. My policy covers me for any car I drive. Assuming all drivers have personal car insurance is there any other problem with not disclosing additional drivers?

For my purposes I'm just concerned with US citizens driving in the USA. I know additional issues can come up in International travel.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,474 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Additional driver on rental car

Hmm. I never thought about it? But....

If I allow someone else to drive the car that I contracted to drive, that would mean I broke the terms of the contract. What if this person crashes the car? Would my insurance company or credit card company want to pay if they knew I broke the T&Cs of the contract? Insurance companys don't pay if they aren't required to. Breaking the contract could be an 'out' for them.

It could be a law enforcement issue also? If a person is driving that is not listed on the contact, would an officer who stopped the car for speeding question this? Maybe, maybe not.

No doubt if I purchase the rental cars insurance, and another person crashes the car, they will not cover damages.

There are probably more reason also?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,877 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Additional driver on rental car

Hi przyk;

Read the fine print. You'd be surprised of some of the clauses, and the consequences !

FYI...many of the larger companies waive the fee for spouses.

Best Regards

Edited: 5:54 pm, June 21, 2012
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,842 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Additional driver on rental car

hawkeye,

I agree if you buy insurance from the rental car company an unauthorized driver could negate the coverage.

With my personal car I am covered for any car I drive. Do you think if I was not an authorized driver on a rental car that would negate my personal auto policy coverage? I tend to think I would be okay, but I will double check with my insurance agent again.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to think this situation thru.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,474 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Additional driver on rental car

<<<<Do you think if I was not an authorized driver on a rental car that would negate my personal auto policy coverage?

When your insurance company looks at the rental contract and it is in someone else name, and shows 'no additional authorized drivers', I'd be worried.

I do have a prejudice toward insurance companies. Maybe I'm wrong and your insurance would pay.

Edited: 6:43 pm, June 21, 2012
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Additional driver on rental car

I would imagine since the contract with the rental car agency says who the authorized drivers are, your insurance company would have a good argument for denying coverage in case of an accident. I have an extra rider on my auto policy that covers rental cars, but I would never drive a rental car that I wasn't listed as a driver.

ktown

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,842 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Additional driver on rental car

Well, I did what I often advise other people to do, I contacted my insurance agent. His first reaction about additional drivers was that it's just a ploy they use to make extra money.

He did not encourage me to disregard the rules about authorized drivers, but he did verify that my policy would generally cover me whether I rented the vehicle and allowed an unauthorized driver or whether I was the authorized driver.

He said he has been asked this question more often than I might have guessed. Usually it's for 2 or 3 couples who are renting a van to travel together and don't want to pay the extra fee for additional drivers.

He also said he has been asked the question by parents of teenagers who plan to rent a car and let the kid drive. He said under that circumstance damage may not be covered if the rental company does not allow young drivers.

Bottom line for me is I guess I would not make a routine practice of disregarding the additional driver rules and I would be careful about who I let drive a car I have rented. But, I won't lose any sleep if it happens occasionally.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Additional driver on rental car

I worked in IT for a while for a rental insurance company supporting IT systems for a Loss Control area and spent some time in Loss Control learning about the business. I don't claim to be an expert or anything like that, but from what I've seen insurance companies (not the rental insurance coverage, but your own insurance) cover drivers who you let drive the rental car that aren't on the rental policy. If both DH and I want to drive, I look for a company that covers a spouse for free. I have, though, after spending this time in a Loss Control area and seeing how claims actually work out without hesitation on occasion driven our rental car that just DH is listed on for a short trip or so when I mostly wasn't doing any driving and didn't want to pay the $15 or $10 a day fee for a week long rental when I was only driving one or two times. Prior to seeing how all those claims were handled I never did this.

8. Re: Additional driver on rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 14, 2013