We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

Wellingborough...
Level Contributor
272 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

Hi,

I've seen some good offers on secretescapes.com and I was wondering if anyone's used them?

It looks a bit like Groupon, and I've been disappointed with most of the things I've had from there.

Can anyone vouch for Secret Escapes?

208 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,145 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

Saw this in another forum, you might want to private message the responder who seems to know something.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295424-i872-k5362…

Wellingborough...
Level Contributor
272 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

Thanks for that, bk_t1. I'll follow that up.

Isn't it a sad state of affairs that we don't trust anyone to just give us what we pay for thesedays?!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

I would be very hesitant to use Secret Escapes for anything.

My spouse and I booked a holiday to Cancun in order to celebrate three events: our 10th anniversary, the honeymoon we never had, and my birthday. Keep in mind that we booked this at the end of May. The trip is supposed to take place in 2.5 weeks at this point (at the beginning of September) and we've yet to hear a thing from Secret Escapes. No tickets, no paperwork, just a little automated confirmation that we paid for the trip and a shy/nervous rep calling for our birth dates (never gave her name). Nothing through the mail.

Before any of this had happened, we had emailed them a few days after booking to ask when we should receive flight details. We were told we should receive them 3 weeks before departure and then told if we had any further questions to please contact funwayholidays.co.uk as they basically wash their hands of the situation after you've booked with them.

After the 3 week mark came and went, we started to get nervous.

We did receive 2 phone calls from a very sheepish representative asking us to confirm our birth dates and our travel information just a few days before the three week mark. My spouse asked that they contact us back with information on when we should receive our tickets. She said that she would call us back as soon as possible with the appropriate information. That never happened.

We had contacted Secret Escapes again after this and were told they would contact us back, which they haven't. So I called Funwayholidays.co.uk (out of frustration because Secret Escapes said they couldn't get through), which are the people who actually make the reservations on Secret Escapes behalf. After sitting on hold for nearly ten minutes, I got through, but was disconnected. (I guess Secret Escapes didn't want to sit on hold either.)

However, when I did manage to get through, the rep told me that the hotel accepted the reservation and they had confirmed the British Airways reservation. I asked when we should receive the tickets and was told we were supposed to receive them 40 (!!!!!) days prior to departure. I thought I heard 14, so I had to ask again to ensure I was hearing correctly. 40 was the number. The big 4-0!

So....another call to Secret Escapes. The man on the end of the line wasn't sure what was going on and that he would investigate and call us back. About an hour and a half later, still no call. We called again asking for information and the woman said that it had been escalated to management. Here we our....in limbo with no further information and massively disappointed.

I've worked in customer service for a number of years and have been sorely disappointed that companies no longer seem to value customer service and don't understand that having that friendly approach means a lot.

To me, it's clear that they violated one of the top rules in customer service: do what you say you're going to do. If the customer wants to be kept informed on the situation, keep them informed, even if you have *nothing* new to report. It just gives them a little confidence in what's happening and that the issue will be resolved.

Sorry for the novel.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

I Did for the 1st time. Booked a Hotel in London, received confirmation, all looked OK. Booked train tickets etc. couple of days later they called to say the Hotel had overbooked and they were unable to offer an alternate so would give me my money back.....Whats the point in sending a confirmation if its not actually confirmed and they can still cancel - I will not be using them again.

5. Re: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, February 04, 2013
Edited: 8:05 am, February 04, 2013

6. Re: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Shoreham-by-Sea...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

Did you get the tickets in time - did you go!!!!!!!

I would be interested in the outcome

Thanks

Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

Thanks very much for the novel i won't b booking with them .

Edited: 8:47 pm, January 04, 2013
9. Re: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

10. Re: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?

Reply to: Anyone tried secretescapes.com?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted