We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it cheaper to book through travel agent or do it yourself

cairns
2 posts
Save Topic
is it cheaper to book through travel agent or do it yourself

Hi

We are looking at going overseas for our honeymoon in may 2011, can someone help as to whether it is cheaper/better to book through a travel agent or to do it yourself?? We ae looking at going to either bali or vanuatu or anywhere similar to these places?

Thanks

Bec

Harwich, Essex
Level Contributor
167 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it cheaper to book through travel agent or do it yourself

My friend always books her holidays through the internet to save money but personally I would be dubious as there is no one to help if there are any problems with hotels, flight cancellations etc and I would also be wary of being scammed. At least with a package holiday through the travel agents you know whats included & if there are any probs its easier to sort them

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it cheaper to book through travel agent or do it yourself

I have always booked myself, but I know others that say they get just as good rates through travel agents.

The one time I tried to go through a travel agent I researched and priced out a trip and then went to the travel agent and asked for their price on essentially the same or very similar trip. What I did by myself was substantially less. I also had a friend book a trip through a travel agent recently. I showed her that I would be able do get her a similar trip but much cheaper if she did the work herself, but in her case it made more sense to pay more to have someone else do all the work for her.

I believe I pay much less to travel doing the research and booking myself, but I also spend a lot of time doing it and have become pretty good at seeking out the bargains.

ktown

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it cheaper to book through travel agent or do it yourself

Do your online research & also check if the travel agent comes up with the same or lower cost. Here in the US I usually find more bargains using discounters such as Priceline, Hotwire, Skyauction, calling hotels direct, etc.

In Europe, especially in the UK - usually cheaper through a travel agent. Some package holidays booked in 1 country to go to another: e.g. booking Canary Islands through German Travel Agent or Island of Djerba through Czech Travel Agent are substantially cheaper (40-60%). The only disadvantage is that you travel with a German or Czech Group...some may find it an advantage...

Incidentally, in Australia - small tours such as Day Trip to Fraser Island or Ghost Tour -(Brisbane) - last minute through travel agent saved us about 15%.. Could not have been booked directly with US Credit cards as it was last minute...

Montana
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is it cheaper to book through travel agent or do it yourself

Hello travelers,

On bargain travel..should I trust buying international air tickets to a site such as : ASAP travel? Cheap tickets.com?

Thank you for your time. Montana Outfitter

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it cheaper to book through travel agent or do it yourself

google the name of any company you are dealing with and see what comes up . also use a credit card not a debit card to book flights as they usually come with protection.

6. Re: is it cheaper to book through travel agent or do it yourself

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 18, 2010
Get answers to your questions