We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap destination for 5 week summer stay?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap destination for 5 week summer stay?

Hi, I'm looking to spend 5 weeks somewhere next year, pref long haul. But must be cheap eating, accomodation, activities etc due to long holiday. Am thinking Thailand. Was in Egypt this year and that was pretty cheap.

Any good recommendations??

Cheers!

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap destination for 5 week summer stay?

Hi there,

The great news is that you have a TON of options and it is really going to be about personal preference. I mean you really can find cheap food and cheapa accomodations just about anywhere...it just depends on how much luxury and comforts you are going to want.

Try to plan out what activities and what kind of vacation you are looking for first. You dont want to go too cheap, this 5 weeks needs to be the high point of year. Once you know what you want try looking at this article on ten of the cheapest places to live

bankabletravel.com/the-cheapest-places-to-li…

Hope that helps

Glasgow
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap destination for 5 week summer stay?

Thanks for the response. To narrow it down (kind of!) I want to get in a bit of scuba diving, I want a couple of beachy weeks but I'd also like to get out and about for a couple of weeks. I don't want total budget backpack accommodation the whole time(I'm 34 and I've done all that!)but it can't be too expensive if I'm to go away all summer. I'm definitely veering towards Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam - unless anyone inspires me with new ideas!!! :) ps - solo female traveller.

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap destination for 5 week summer stay?

Hey there,

Alright well you definitely want to look into Laos and Cambodia and Vietnam as they Are STUNNING and have so much to offer.

Problem is that it does turn into a budget backpack trip, even if that is not what you are after quite often.

What do you think about renting a villa for the whole five weeks?

I am heading to Fiji for an entire month and landed a 3 bedroom private villa with a pool and a bbq and just a few steps from the beach for FAR less than it would have cost to get a hotel for that long.

Would you consider Fiji? Would you consider renting a villa? VRBO.com is a great place to look if you are into that

Glasgow
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap destination for 5 week summer stay?

Hi. Thanks for the info. That's a great website! But don't want to stay in the same place that long. Will look into renting somewhere for 2-3 weeks perhaps, but also quite like the social aspect of hotel accommodation as travelling alone. I don't mind backpacking round SE Asia, so long as I have a bit of comfort for my beach section! :)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
12,758 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap destination for 5 week summer stay?

I've been going to SE Asia for 2 years now, and now planning trip #3. Last trip was split between Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hanoi and Hoi An. I spent approx. US$1500. on the ground and another $1000. for transpacific air. Vietnam is considerably cheaper than Thailand (I also like it better, but I'm not into beaches) - easy to get by on $40. a day in VN and about $50.-60. in Thai.

There is no ? that the beaches of Thailand are the best in the area, but for friendliness and bargains, Indochina is the place! When it comes to food, Thailand wins again. For accommodations, Vietnam has the best at the best price ($15.-$25. for an excellent private room and half that price for hostels).

Bus travel is cheap in these countries, but the Indochinese roads are dangerous. I like to fly, and air travel is inexpensive in the area.

6. Re: Cheap destination for 5 week summer stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 pm, August 18, 2009
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
Level Contributor
69,674 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap destination for 5 week summer stay?

YTB;

Your post violates TripAdvisor's posting guidelines regarding self-promotional advertising or solicitation and has been reported as inappropriate.

8. Re: Cheap destination for 5 week summer stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 15, 2010
Get answers to your questions