We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone used trip.com?

Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Anyone used trip.com?

I'm booking a hotel in Bangkok, Thailand and trip.com is coming up as the cheapest booking method by 20% on many hotels. I can't find much info on the internet about this company.

98 replies to this topic
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Anyone used trip.com?

There's company information, but no user reviews or experiences that I can find. Trip.com used to be gogobot.com (Palo Alto, CA). Trip.com was just bought by Ctrip (Republic of China) in November. Apparently gogobot morphed into trip.skyscanner.com and carried on the "tribe" structure of gogobot. So, no, no apparent findable current track record.

As should be obvious, no hotel allows the same room under the same conditions to be sold for less (and pay a commission) than they would sell it direct. That would be foolish. The trick is to know what the different condition is. And of course, one must presume, at best, all the risks presented by any discount third party site. It might be instructional to email the hotels and ask if they honor bookings at that rate from Trip.com . If they don't know them, it means it's probably really a forth party bed bank reseller, meaning you may not have a room upon arrival.

But I don't see everything. Let's see if someone else has recent experience.

Marietta, Georgia
1 post
2. Re: Anyone used trip.com?

We made reservations on Dec.29th. For two nights at the Harbour Plaza 8 degrees through trip .com

We have emailed the hotel twice and they tell us we have no reservations for January 5-7.

I have called trip.com and they insist we have reservations and our room is guaranteed.

Has anyone else had a problem with trip. Com.?

1 post
3. Re: Anyone used trip.com?

I was using hotelscombined and the trip.com showed the lowest price in Singapore as well.

But I decide to not take the risk.

I've booked a hotel from Ctrip in China and it was all fined.

1 post
1 review
4. Re: Anyone used trip.com?

Did you manage to sort this? Their flights are coming up the cheapest but i see they have a 1 star rating on skyscanner which is worrying. Let me know how it goes as i think im going to stay away from them!

Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Anyone used trip.com?

I did not book with tripdotcom as the lack of reviews and information coming up via internet search worried me. I figured it's better to spend a few more dollars than be stranded without a hotel in a foreign country.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,654 posts
478 reviews
6. Re: Anyone used trip.com?

You've done the right thing. You may not even be paying a few bucks more in the end by not using them. Using trip.com may have ended up costing you more you never know!

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
7. Re: Anyone used trip.com?

I have been looking at their flights as well. When I was living in China, Ctrip was absolutely fine, no problem at all but am concerned because of the same rating on skyscanner but again can't actually find any reviews so I am wondering where they are getting their rating from. I am going to contact the airline directly to see if they will match the price on offer.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,665 posts
8. Re: Anyone used trip.com?

Type Ctrip into the ‘Search All Forums for’ Search box on this Tripadvisor forums homepage link -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ForumHome

Hundreds of topics will come up in the results display. You can read people’s experiences, reviews and complaints about them.

San Francisco...
4 posts
9. Re: Anyone used trip.com?

Please don't book with them. They don't allow 24 hours cancellation which is the laws regulates by the US Transportation department. When I booked my ticket within 24 hours I realized I forgot to put my middle name on the ticket, they didn't allow me to reinsert my middle name on the ticket, then immediately I requested for cancellation and they charged me $130 (verbally) for their service fees. I asked them if they know America customers has 24 hours cancellation protection and their manager (Annie) replied that she didn't know and she would still enforced $130 service fees at my end.

Anyway, this is a company locates in a foreign country. They don't go by the US laws and they can charge you whatever they want to. This is my bad luck and you guys don't buy from them!!!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
21,309 posts
113 reviews
10. Re: Anyone used trip.com?

In the US the 24 hour rule only applies to booking with the airline, which you did not do.

Reply to: Anyone used trip.com?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions