We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid CARTRAWLER if you want to rent a car - MONEY FRAUD

2 posts
Avoid CARTRAWLER if you want to rent a car - MONEY FRAUD

Imagine a following situation:

- You go to Italy

- You need a larger car since you travel with two family members and several pieces of luggage

- You book an Estate car (e.g. Ford Focus Estate presented on the screen) via Cartravler website

- You reach there and at the rental agency you find out that they reserved a COMPACT car - 500L (that is how it is classified on their website) and do not have any other cars available, even if you as for an upgrade

- You had to go to another agency , as for an estate car, and pay again for the entire rental process

- You report it to CARTRAWLER and it takes two months to get any answer and then they will stop responding to your email at all

- You lose 260 EUR becasue something tempted you to make a resevation via this ridiculous company

AVOID AT EACH COST! THE CLAIM IS IN PROGRESS BUT I WANT TO WARN EVERYONE from making any reservations there!

6 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,319 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: Avoid CARTRAWLER if you want to rent a car - MONEY FRAUD

Imagine a situation where there are thousands of threads and posts on TripAdvisor forum already here - which warned you to stay away from Cartrawler - for many of the same reasons - car availability, extra fees, and slow refunds. Imagine that situation, and you started a brand new thread that the next person will not read - because people are too trusting and think that just because they book on-line, they will be safe and it's trusted. #Wrong

2 posts
2. Re: Avoid CARTRAWLER if you want to rent a car - MONEY FRAUD

Would you rent a car via CarTrawler?

halifax
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Avoid CARTRAWLER if you want to rent a car - MONEY FRAUD

The same happened to the us in September. Pre booked months in advance a spider soft top to attend a wedding in Lake Garda and also travel round the area after. We wanted to treat ourselves and travel in style. Arrived at Venice airport very excited to be told that car not available and not even any convertibles left. We were offered a bmw saloon, which would have been great if we had wanted a saloon but don't consider that a similar alternative to a sports soft top. We were also told to source our own with another hirer and they would pay the difference but they said there wasn't any left. After over an hour wasted at other hirers we found a soft top and went back to car trawler. They then said we would have to pay the other hirer in full and put a claim in when we got back. Not happy with having to do that as credit card already maxed out. We had no alternative and went ahead just to get out of the airport. We got this in writing that they would refund us. Numerous e mails and telephone calls later this complaint is still on going in December. Slowly but surely we have got the full refund for the other hire and insurance back as well as the cost of all the phone calls. They don't return calls or emails and keep closing your complaint as resolved no matter how many times you say it isn't. I am pursuing them for compensation for the wasted time and distress they have caused and will not stop till I get this. Don't let them fob you off. Keep at them till you get what you are entitled to or send it to an ombudsman which is where I am at.

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Avoid CARTRAWLER if you want to rent a car - MONEY FRAUD

Why on Earth would you rent a car from a company that has no cars?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,319 posts
189 reviews
5. Re: Avoid CARTRAWLER if you want to rent a car - MONEY FRAUD

<Would you rent a car via CarTrawler?>

Sebastian B: My answer is 100% absolutely NOT. I don't care who or what they appear to be, it would be too risky for me. How did I arrive at that conclusion - because I read and research - enough said.

3 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Avoid CARTRAWLER if you want to rent a car - MONEY FRAUD

NO CONTRATEIS CON CARTRAWLER Y SUS ASOCIADOS. SON UNOS ESTAFADORES. importantisimo leer la letra pequeña. Alquilamos un coche online para la isla de Kos en Grecia y nos recogio su agencia asociada alli. Abbycar Rental. Cual fue nuestra sorpresa cuando llegamos a la oficina a la 1 de la madrugada con in bebe de 8 meses y nos dice que el limite de la tarjeta del conductor es de 1000 euros no puede hacerlo porque debe cubrir 1050 euros.aunque el seguro solo cubre hasta 900 euros. Intentamos hacerlo con otra tarjeta pero al no ser la del contratante tampoco lo permiten. La unica solucion k nos dan es hacer otro seguro por 241 euros( lo mismo k nos habua costado el alquiler, asi que pagamos doble). Ante sus clausulas abusivas intentamos cancelarlo y coger un taxi pero han atado bien las condiciones para que si cancelas no te devuelvan un duro. Total que empezamos las vacaciones con la sensacion de que nos habian robado 240 euros por la cara.

Reply to: Avoid CARTRAWLER if you want to rent a car - MONEY FRAUD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted