We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help on a listing

San Diego...
5 posts
Save Topic
help on a listing

hi,

i saw a listing posted on craigs list san diego and i wa sinterested in it.

the listing website (i was mailed the web id) starts like this

http://tripadvisor0com45233232.4sql.net/

is this a tripadvisor website?

i actually tried booking with a credit card and credit card wa snot accepted by the owner due to bad experience in the past for them. so my only choice is to send a wire to a private account of the owner.

i am a little concerned. is this normal?

also i got an email from admin@invoice-tripadvisor.com verifying the owner...is this a valid id/

thanks.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,604 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help on a listing

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Madh00;

Before I respond, I want to point out that I do NOT work for TripAdvisor. As with all Destination Experts, I’m a member just like you, who volunteers my time assisting fellow members.

IMHO, it doesn't look right.

What is the name of the property?

Have you tried searching for it on this site ?

Best Regards

San Diego...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: help on a listing

Hi,

Thx for your reply.

Can I post the property link here? It is just a link to the property page. I am not sure if I was allowed that, I just joined. But it doesn't pull up when I search. But then again, I might have missed as there are 100s of properties.

It is the best deal I have got and frankly the cheapest.

The owner seems nice, she answers my mails but she is out of the country. And according to the link she gave, she has positive reviews and has been a member till 2009.

Also admin@ invoice- tripadvisor.com - is this a valid tripadvisor email? This email says that she is a valid customer..

The site link she gave me starts with www.tripadvisor.net/ ...... But when I cut and paste, it does not work.

When I click, it goes to tripadvisor0com SQL.net( the one I mentioned in my original request)..

I don't want to let a good deal go but iam so concerned since it is 2400 dollars, a lot of money...really in a dilemma...not sure if iam overreacting?

Thx.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,471 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help on a listing

Don't send any money! Craiglist is well know for scams; I'm sure you know that.

According to whois Tripadvisor owns the Tripadvisor.net domain. That does not mean that the property listed and owner are legit. Surely, it is not a Tripadvisor listing. Otherwise, you'll find the same listing here. It occurs to me that if it were legit, it could be a Tripadvisor staffer posting a rental on craiglist. Still, too fishy.

Don't take the risk of sending money to a stranger. Better pay a bit more elsewhere than wiring money to a person you've never met for a property you don't even know if it exists. My two cents

Silvia

PS: Yes, you can post the URL to the listing here, because of the circumstances of the lister using the Tripadvisor name.

Edited: 10:53 am, January 18, 2014
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,471 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help on a listing

Here, this is what Tripadvisor says about vacation rental listings and they are referring to listings on Tripadvisor:

"Be cautious of owners/managers who require that you pay with cash or by Western Union or MoneyGram. Payment requests by wire transfer can be legitimate, but run the risk of being associated with a potential scam."

…tripadvisor.com/articles/200614187-How-can-…

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,604 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help on a listing

Hi Madh00;

If you can, please post a link to the listing here on TA. If you can't, please post the full name and city of the property.

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help on a listing

Is this it? I don't know if the link will work:

…4sql.net/www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRental…

When I look at the page, I looked up one reviewer and there's no link to that particular review and I couldn't see it on Flipkey. When I clicked to book, I got a warning, "this page has been blocked as a web forgery". I'd suggest contacting TA staff about this:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Select Vacation Rentals form the drop-down

edit: I don't know whether it's a good idea to click on the listing link...perhaps just include the URL of this thread by cut and paste and add it to the dialogue box if you decide to report it to TA Staff

Regards,

L4

Edited: 4:16 pm, January 18, 2014
San Diego...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: help on a listing

Hi,

Yes...it is just what lucky four posted except mine is based in San Diego.

Thanks so much..I was doubtful because it is the best deal..such a nice apt in the heart of downtown cannot be just 800..

Thanks a lot for the immediate help.

I e,ailed tripadvisor support but they didn't get back to me but anyway, I found my answer here.

Thanks for your help all of you.

Madhoo

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,445 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help on a listing

TA will get back to you in 3-5 business days.

San Diego...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: help on a listing

hi,

this was the link..very simialr to the one, luckyfour provided..almsot same pictures..

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g123548…

if u cut and paste, the link doesnt work..but if u click on it, it goes to a weird sql.net...so is this site a fraud then? i have submitted this to a trip advisor support to advise me on this site whether it is bogus or if am over reacting? for now, everyone be aware of this sql.net links..i will post, what i find.

San Diego...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: help on a listing

ALSO, I got an email from this id verifying the validity of the user..admin@invoice-tripadvisor.com...