We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Label

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage Label

Thank you for my luggage labels BUT - I never write my home address on a luggage label that can be read by anybody at the airport.... " I see Bob is off on holiday - won't be back for a few days, I wonder what he's left in his house that's worth nikin"..... "and that's his address - thanks Bob".

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,979 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage Label

"I never write my home address on a luggage label that can be read by anybody at the airport"

Totally agree with you but it still amazing how many people will know you are off on holiday

We do however always have our contact details inside the case in case it is lost

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,349 posts
820 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage Label

The fact that you are on holidays does not mean there is nobody home.

I have never heard of someone's house being broken into because somebody read his address on luggage.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage Label

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forums.

I turn my address so that it's facing inside the label and it's only if someone pulls out the paper and looks on the inside can you see the address. I've noticed that a number of people do the same and it's a good security measure as well as having your destination written on a piece of paper in your luggage.

Happy travels.

L4

Edited: 1:45 pm, December 31, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,334 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage Label

Another option would be to include a work/business address or post office box address instead. You could even put your travel destination address inside the tag on the way there and swap it out on the way back. It's also a good idea to include a copy of your flight itinerary inside each bag in case they get separated from you.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,228 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage Label

I put my mobile phone number so I can be contacted if necessary.

Tucson Arizona
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage Label

Those are some good ideas. I have some really cute unused luggage labels which I was hesitant to use precisely for the "exposed address" reason.

Now, I can put my cell phone number, or turn the information facing the inside. Can't believe I never thought of that.

Thank you.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage Label

These days it is more likely to be your Facebook status updates that reveal your whereabouts.

However I only put mobile phone numbers and email addresses on luggage tags since that is the only information that is really needed when a lost bag is found.

8. Re: Luggage Label

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 03, 2015
Get answers to your questions