We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annoying right hand-side pop ups

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Annoying right hand-side pop ups

Recently I have been receiving a pop-up ad for hotels, every single time I click a different page in trip advisor. There is a web address at the bottom of the ads listed as: easytobook.com

I am not interested in booking hotels in any of the cities they show (3 usually).

I use firefox, have adblock plus enabled, but am looking for something else because it is truly annoying and in no way am I going to click on one the city offers to book something.

Can anybody help me get rid of this annoyance?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,334 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annoying right hand-side pop ups

I use Adblock Plus 2.3.2, Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.9.1, Element Hiding Helper for Adblock 1.2.3 as well as Ghostery. I don't see any pop-ups, slide-overs, etc.

You do need to 'train' them to stop certain behaviors such as by right-clicking on an 'element' to block it. You do also have to be careful, because if you lock it down too tightly you can unintentionally stop web site functionality when you don't mean to.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annoying right hand-side pop ups

Thank you very much, problem solved :)

Loches
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Annoying right hand-side pop ups

I also use Stylish, with this style - userstyles.org/styles/41201/tripadvisor-foru… enabled. Works a treat and the forums look how tripadvisor should have made them in the first place.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annoying right hand-side pop ups

Thank you.

I felt somewhat bad about coming to the forum here to ask for such a thing since this a free site that I know probably depends on advertising, but to be bombarded with "deals" every SINGLE time I click on a new page is somewhat painful, especially when given irrelevant choices. (not that I am suggesting there should be geography preference suggestions for pop ups)

Out of curiosity… Do trip advisor get a cut when you check availability and book through their link from a regular review?

Just trying to work out if someone is trying to sustain the business or make even more money from these silly pop ups…

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,334 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annoying right hand-side pop ups

Yes, all of the advertisers you see on TA pay to be displayed. I'm fairly certain that there's also click-through ad revenue paid when hotel rooms are booked, airline tickets are purchased, etc. I think that many web sites also pay to display the reviews from TA on their own web sites.

The advertisers basically pay for our 'free' use of TA.

6. Re: Annoying right hand-side pop ups

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 02, 2014