We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prevent people from voting for their own review

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
372 reviews
Save Topic
Prevent people from voting for their own review

Why doesn't tripadvisor prevent people from voting for their own review? Each machine, be it a pc, laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc. has an electronic source address. When a source is used to write a review, that source can be disabled from voting for their own review. It can even be done retroactively. Tripadvisor can even be made so that one source cannot vote for a given reviewer more than once in a given time period. It is absolutely ridiculous how many people are voting for their own reviews -easily viewable when someone writes a two line review, and it is the only one with a helpful vote for that restaurant for the past six months, with the same pattern for the other reviews of this person. The entire notion of helpful votes becomes corrupted.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prevent people from voting for their own review

A member can't vote their own review as 'helpful.' You must also be signed into your TA account to vote on someone else's review. From the Help Center: …custhelp.com/app/…20vote

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prevent people from voting for their own review

A member simply needs to sign out of his tripadvisor account, and then can vote for his own review.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prevent people from voting for their own review

You do not need to be signed in as a TA member to vote helpful for a review. I tried it once for a review on Sweet tomatoes, and was given the choice of clicking yes on the helpful vote for my own review.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prevent people from voting for their own review

You can also vote helpful for a given review unlimited times. One person submitted 10 reviews on the same day, and they all had one helpful vote each at the time of submission. Another person had no helpful votes for all his reviews, except one, with 23 helpful votes, and it was an ordinary review.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prevent people from voting for their own review

If someone votes more than once, it will be corrected at a later date and the review will then show less votes. As I understand it, TA has systems in place re: the process that sodomojo linked to in Post 1.

Regards,

L4

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prevent people from voting for their own review

As L4 says TA has runs a periodic 'clean-up' program that only allows 1 vote per member to stand. You may see multiple votes temporarily until they are removed. 1 member = 1 vote.

If you search the Support forum, you'll find many posts asking 'why were my helpful votes removed?'

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prevent people from voting for their own review

I've had helpful votes removed from my reviews -usually within a day or so on the weekend after the count increased. We are talking about something entirely different here. People can vote for their own reviews, when logged into a second TA account, or when they are not logged in to any TA account. I did it once a year ago for my sweet tomatoes review on aug 3, 2012 just to see what would happen. the helpful vote is still there!

two cases come to mind when looking at reviews for Yosemite Lodge at the Falls:

Phun-seekers on May 29 submitted 9 reviews on that day, and by the end of the day all 9 reviews had exactly one helpful vote.

Ourroadlesstravelled submitted 14 reviews on May 6, and all 14 reviews simultaneously on the same day got exactly 1 helpful vote. This is the example of the 2 line reviews for restaurants or attractions that hadn't had a helpful vote in months. this person even voted for her own reviews multiple times, by first logging out of the account, and voting as a non TA member

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prevent people from voting for their own review

"People can vote for their own reviews, when logged into a second TA account."

You are only allowed one account. The only time someone can have a second account is for managing their listing. If they have a second account for listing purposes then that's all it's for.

Regards,

L4

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prevent people from voting for their own review

So again the question is how to prevent people from voting for their own reviews, when not logged into an account on TA?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,782 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prevent people from voting for their own review

Robert,

I just signed off. Looked for a recent review and click on the Helpful vote. Yes, it does say Thank you for your vote or something like that, but the review count remains the same.

Check it out. It's been many years that a member cannot vote for his/her own reviews, and as far as I remember, we were never able to vote for a review if not signed on.

Silvia