We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Browser keeps crashing

London, England...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Browser keeps crashing

I love the TripAdvisor website but it doesn't seem to be very stable when I use Chrome as my browser. It works okay with IE but this is not very convenient. For security reasons I deliberately don't put any bookmarks etc there and don't save passwords. Does anyone know why I keep getting "not responding" on Chrome? A cursory reading suggests it may have something to do with pop ups/unders but I really have no idea how to manage these. I noted that I had the same problem when using Chrome for Android with my tablet abroad. Is this unique to me or does anyone have a solution?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,744 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Browser keeps crashing

Welcome to the Support Forum, Afatman!

One question, are you using Chrome on Windows 8? If that's the case, you may want to google Chrome crashing Windows 8. I've seen multiple reports on this issue.

Here's a thread on Chrome & Windows 8, where TA_Jeanine suggests you check zoom extensions on Chrome:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k6087746…

For your table (Android) issue, I really haven't heard anything about Chrome crashing.

Silvia

Edited: 12:54 pm, April 19, 2013
London, England...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Browser keeps crashing

I have Win7 not 8 - and when I tried to post this reply the first time, Chrome crashed again!

Edited: 4:34 pm, April 19, 2013
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Browser keeps crashing

Are all programs updated on your computer?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,566 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Browser keeps crashing

Chrome is memory intensive compared to other browsers. What memory do you have installed?

Also might be worthwhile checking your memory. Press the start button and type 'memory' in the search and run the memory diagnostic tool. This will reboot your PC and run a memory check and tell you if you have any problems.

London, England...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Browser keeps crashing

It's a new PC (and I get the same problem with my tablet!). The PC has 8 GB of mem so I don't think that's the issue. I can't access this page using Chrome and have to use IE.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,744 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Browser keeps crashing

And these crashes in your PC and tablet happen ** only ** when you browse Tripadvisor, correct?

It seems quite strange as many Tripadvisor users use Chrome on Windows 7 and no crashes have been reported.

Your tablet would be different as it runs on Android, but again no other reports so far.

I'm wondering if it is something you have enabled in both Chrome setups shich causes Chrome to crash, such as Free download manager. It seems to me, for now, given no other reports that this is a Chrome issue.

Silvia

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,566 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Browser keeps crashing

I'd still recommend you run the memory diagnostic tool. There could be an issue with your memory, might simply be that one isn't seated correctly.

London, England...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Browser keeps crashing

Thank you. I ran the memory diagnostic but this showed nothing. I seem to have stopped the problem by eliminating one add-in relating to a voice recognition system that I use. However, this doesn't explain why the same problem occurs with my tablet.

9. Re: Browser keeps crashing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 23, 2014