We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Solicitation or Self-Promotion Posts

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
2 reviews
Solicitation or Self-Promotion Posts

I know that personal solicitation is against the rules on TA. The forum that I frequent has one poster that is a travel agent. While she does not publicize or promote her particular business, 99.9% of her posts mention her "clients", that she is an "agent", the "site inspections" she does at various properties, things related to "travel booking", defense of negatively reviewed properties solely because "her clients" have never reported negatively on the same issues. To make a long story short, her postings constantly refer to her being a travel agent. She's been called out on that fact at least once and she slacked down on her verbage, but it's gotten as bad or worse again. So my question is, does this meet the parameters of "self-promotion" or "solicitation" or am I understanding the TA rules incorrectly. I do not mind being told that I'm the one erring. I just want to know.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Solicitation or Self-Promotion Posts

It can be a gray area, I agree. In the past, I've seen similar posts stay as long as they don't give contact information. Sorta like if a doctor was here and mentioned his patients reported a nice time on a trip, so could a travel agent.

But I agree it can be a gray area and a TA mod would have to make the determination. They can look at all the posts and see if they are on mission or not.

So regardless of what my opinion is.. In would recommend you let the moderators know. To do that use the contact us link in the help center (link at the bottom of this page) then select general contact, > using forums... > help in using forums. Pasting a link to the user's profile will help

Good luck

Noah

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: Solicitation or Self-Promotion Posts

If she doesn't mention her business name, a web site or any contact info, I don't see how it can be solicitation.

There is a poster on the airline forum who sometimes mentions the flights he has been on(as cabin crew) and his experiences which support or contradict other posters, but I wouldn't say that's solicitation at all, indeed it's very useful.

So, seems to me she may be irritating, but not soliciting :-)

Edited: 3:02 am, February 12, 2013
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
35,206 posts
747 reviews
3. Re: Solicitation or Self-Promotion Posts

Sounds ok to me. We have a few on the China forums and it's no bother at all. Much better than direct solicitation or even worst, someone trying to pose as a traveler and recommending an agency while their screen name is the same as the agency!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Solicitation or Self-Promotion Posts

Thank you all for your input. I initially was going to try to email the moderators, but got lost in all the progression of links to get to the right place and gave up. I agree that it's irritating. She first came onto the forum mentioning it; she was called out about solicitation; she toned it down for a while, but she's very defensive about long time posters and DE's disputing the information that she gives and always seems to imply that her clients' experiences weigh heavier than others that post directly to their experiences. So I guess that's why it's more irritating than anything. It's as if her X-number of years of travel agent experience holds more weight than actual travelers' experiences. Thank you again.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Solicitation or Self-Promotion Posts

You can contact TA moderators via this link:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/GeneralSupport

Forums, Private Messages & Travellers Articles -> Help using the forums

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
50,696 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Solicitation or Self-Promotion Posts

pvdeb ~ just open the Help Center at the bottom of the page. Then select a Contact Us link in the left hand side. If you accidentally send your message to the wrong TA department, it just means it will be awhile longer until it gets forwarded to the right TA department and the staff take a look at those posts. But they will look at them, as long as you ask.

This might be an easier way to begin the search for an appropriate TA department:

www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Solicitation or Self-Promotion Posts

Thank you all again. Hans, I went through the links you provided and have sent my concern in. You know, I hate doing this. I am not an instigator. I am not a pot-stirrer. I avoid confrontational subjects as much as possible, but this has been going on long enough that I want to know if I have a valid concern or if I just need to turn on the "ignore factor" a little stronger in her case.

Happy travels to all!

Deb

8. Re: Solicitation or Self-Promotion Posts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 14, 2014