We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do some forum locations put posters down?

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
62 reviews
Why do some forum locations put posters down?

I find this especially in San Francisco as they thumb their noses at people. How do you become an expert?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Why do some forum locations put posters down?

Hi TravelingChumley,

If you have concerns about a particular forum, you should contact the moderators to discuss it. You can use this link:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/GeneralSupport

Forums, Private Messages & Traveller Articles > Help using the forums. If there are concerns about a particular Destination Expert (e.g. not following the guidelines/concern about behaviour), then select Question about a Destination Expert

As I'm sure you understand, you can't discuss it on the forums as there's the potential for identifying someone.

In terms of how DE's are selected:

How destination experts are chosen

…custhelp.com/app/…20expert

You can always nominate a Destination Expert:

…custhelp.com/app/…20expert

In the Help Center you'll find several articles if you do a search. Hopefully, this answers your question.

Regards,

L4

London, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
2. Re: Why do some forum locations put posters down?

^ I've just usd the www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport link. Hopefully my complaint will be seen quicker. There does seem to be different ways of complaining and seemingly some more effective than others!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
57,487 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Why do some forum locations put posters down?

Hi

Unfortunately, you do get such things on a lot of forums from time to time and some are known for it and DE's are not exempt from taking part

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
48,972 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Why do some forum locations put posters down?

Sometimes when a poster posts some information and the next poster corrects that information, it is not a put down, it is making sure the OP gets the right info for their visit.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Why do some forum locations put posters down?

IMHO there is a polite and an impolite way of " correcting " another poster, I have read some( very nearly ) nasty replies often..... gaining impetous with the clique mentality.

It's not a pleasant way for often " newbies " to be introduced to the world of info sharing and not for the fainthearted on some forums !!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
57,487 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Why do some forum locations put posters down?

Drummer

Totally agree

I have also read some such replies to newbies on the support forums as well

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Why do some forum locations put posters down?

some people are just more sensitive than others.

it's impossible to cater to everyones feelings.

exactly the same situation in life. take it or leave it.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
8. Re: Why do some forum locations put posters down?

I have to agree about the San Fran forum and one DE in particular - can be very surly and patronising to say the least.

Use the links provided to speak to TA about it, there is no excuse for rudeness or insolence.

If people are having a bad day they should refrain from posting, simples!

CB

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
15,936 posts
119 reviews
9. Re: Why do some forum locations put posters down?

>>>they thumb their noses at people. <<<

Don't take anything these people says seriously or personally. You have nothing to prove to them. Sooner or later the regular contributors of a forum will get the measure of these putters down and ignore them. Bypass their posts and concentrate on those who are being helpful, they are after all in the majority. 8)

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

10. Re: Why do some forum locations put posters down?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 04, 2014